Thursday, February 20, 2020

Complications


There have been strong winds recently, and some cold weather which caused the road bridge between us and Son's house to ice up, so that lumps of ice fell on (I think) eight cars, smashing their windscreens.  This is the new bridge - the further away one you can see in the photo above, taken from the train. The new bridge is only a couple of years old, built at a cost of £1.3 billion, and as you can imagine, there is some consternation that this should have happened. Ice, in Scotland in winter - fancy. And they don't seem to know how to guard against its happening again. Anyway, the bridge was closed for a couple of days, which prevented Son and family from coming down to visit while Daughter 2 was here.

It's not icy any more but as an experiment, Mr L and I decided that on our next visit to them we would go by train, over the rail bridge, which doesn't accumulate lumps of ice. Son and family live out in the country, so we joined a car club so that we could pick up a car from near the station and drive the few miles from there to Son's house. We also thought that, as Mr L isn't getting any younger, it would be better in the long run not to have to drive all the way to Son's, on busy and tedious roads.

This didn't work quite as smoothly as we'd hoped, since the car we'd hired wasn't actually in the indicated location, and then when we tracked it down the instructions for driving it (it was an electric vehicle) were somewhat inadequate. However, we got it all sorted out - well, Mr L did; I just sat there making soothing noises - and think we might do it again in the future.


We met them at the park and, as you can't see, the Little Unbloggables had a nice time on the swings and things.


Small Grandson is at the stage of walking while having his hands held. He's a beautiful little chap with big eyes and lots of hair.


Here they all are.


And here's a picture of all of us. Middle Granddaughter is a lovely little thing who greets us with enthusiasm, which is so nice. Small Grandson is considerably more suspicious, but at least we have some confidence that once he can remember who we are, he'll be friendly too. I do wish we saw more of them but there we are. You can't have everything. 


A couple in one of the choirs I sing in has this dolls' house, which they show for charity from time to time, so we went to see it the other day. My photos don't do it justice, but it's amazing. The wife made all the soft furnishings, which means that she embroidered the carpets, the bell pull here, the chair coverings, the place mats and napkins, the fire screen - they're all minute. The husband did all the wallpapering and installed all the joinery.


Look at the bedspread - again, hand embroidered. And the sampler - hand stitched. It's all tiny! There are three working clocks and the silverware on the dining room table is actual silver, which of course requires polishing.


And the stair carpet - hand stitched. All astonishing. Sadly, they have three sons, all uninterested, and three uninterested daughters-in-law, and their grandchildren are all too young to understand the work involved in it, so they're not sure what to plan for its future. It's museum quality, so they're thinking of donating it ultimately to somewhere that would display it permanently.

And these are some of the recent complications of life.

10 comments:

  1. That bridge was unbelievably expensive, awful about the ice chunks breaking windshields. That doll house is fabulous; maybe a grand child will get interested in it and want it; perhaps a museum would be a better home though, where it will be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For perspective, the bridge hadn't had to close at all since it openen, even during the winter, and the conditions which caused the ice to accumulate are thought to be unusual. They've put ice sensors on it now so they will know if it does ice up again, so no more scary falling lumps...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but all the sensors will do is tell them that the ice is there and they have to shut the bridge, causing much disrupion. They don't know how to stop the ice from forming and / or dropping on the cars.

      Delete
  3. I remember that bridge! Is it something wrong with the design that ice chunks fall from it? Perhaps having so much ice is a fluke and will never happen again, as K. says. I am AMAZED by that incredible doll house! It is a work of art. Your grandchildren sound delightful. I'm excited to get one of my own. (even though s/he will be thousands of miles away) :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you were able to have a visit with your grandchildren...And that doll house is a true work of art. I think it should be in a museum of some sort, especially since none of its creator's children appreciate it as a family heirloom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dolls' house is a wonderful achievement. I have a retro version, very well equipped and left to me in her will by a friend who died. Children were never allowed to touch it until it came to me, but now quite a few children are allowed (supervised) to handle it with great care. How sad that no one in your friend's family is interested.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would I have seen a queen's dolls house in the Museum of Childhood in Edinburgh a long time ago? It was a primary 7 school trip, so that must be, oh my, forty years ago?! This is every bit as thrilling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so funny! I love the family pictures ... of feet LOL. These are defintely some complications. I'm glad you managed to visit son and family and got the car hire sorted. The bridge icing is troublesome though -- maybe they could run heated coils on the structure like people put on their roofs here. I mean, they already spent over a billion -- what's a few million (recurring) more LOL? That dollhouse is amazing! It's very sad to have sons and uninterested DILs. I'm very experienced in that department and I would worry about it alot (ALOT!), but I've decided that I will enjoy my (and my mother's) treasures while I'm here, but then I'll be dead, so someone can dispose of them as they wish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello friends. I've been reluctant in purchasing this blank ATM card I heard about online because everything seems too good to be true, but I was convinced when my friend got the card from Sebastian hackers & we both confirmed it really works, without delay I gave it a go. Ever since then I've been withdrawing about $10,000 daily from the card without having any bank account and now I can say I'm rich because I keep renewing my card after 3 months and I also have my business and enough money for my family. So glad I gave it a try at last & this card has really changed my life financially without getting caught, its real & truly works though its illegal but made me rich!! If you need this card from real hackers then contact them today via their email address:sebastianhackers01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete