Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Faces, hair and time


Life is so busy! I'll never have enough time to do all the things I want to do. But it's fun. The Edinburgh grandchildren have been here, not adding to the tidiness of our house but adding so much to the happiness.




It's been very wet! I tried to go for a walk in the Botanics the other day, but they were closed! - I assume because of flooding on the paths. Instead, I walked in Inverleith Park, which is opposite the Botanics, and got rather muddy.


This path (yes, it's a path) was impassible so I had to walk on the grass. Hmm, yes.


More from the archives. My parents took our family and my brother's to France to celebrate my parents' Golden Wedding in 1996 and the children made a joint book about it to thank them. They all wrote some entries. Food figures widely in these. The one below is written by my niece. She's rather disrespectful about her mother, my delightful sister-in-law!



And then - photos. This is my father's paternal grandfather. He died at the age of 40. He was a house painter but also painted pictures - which we sent to auction when my mother's house had to be cleared, on the grounds that you can't keep everything. I feel bad about that but on the other hand, we've saved the dilemma passing itself down to our children in future years.


This is his wife, my dad's paternal grandmother. Good hair.


This is my dad's maternal grandfather, the reason that I'm astonished that Son still has a thick head of hair.


And here's his wife, my dad's maternal grandmother.


My dad's parents, children of the above.


The chap with the moustache looks like the same chap, my paternal grandfather, but is actually his brother Angus. Here he is with his mother, grandmother and baby son (my dad's cousin) in 1910. Sadly Angus was killed in the war five years later. But these ladies are our grandchildren's great-great-great grandmother and great-great-great-GREAT grandmother. Which astonishes me. Imagine being able to see such a good picture of one's GGGGgrandmother! - and she's smiling at having her first great-grandchild on her knee. She was born in 1829, in the reign of William IV, Victoria's uncle.


And here's my paternal grandmother (as seen two photos above with her husband). She's on the right. She was the third youngest of ten children. Sadly, the little boy, Henry, was also killed in the war in 1915. Poor mite.


I needed a photo of myself for other purposes and tried taking a selfie. The result was too horrendous to contemplate. So, to cheer myself up, I took a non-selfie in the bathroom mirror, with kind, gentle light from the side, thus making myself look better than usual instead of worse. I'm not particularly vain, but there's a limit. Ah, it's a terrible thing, getting older. I used to have curly, shiny brown hair - it was never hugely thick but it was acceptable. Now it's greying and straightish and there's far less of it. Ah well. (It might have looked better if I'd at least combed it.)


This is my mum's wartime diary from 1940. She was living in London and working for the Civil Service. Now, she had lovely thick hair. My dad was visiting her when he was on leave from the army but so were various other young men. She had at least three marriage proposals. One chap, Geoffrey, said he'd become a monk if she didn't marry him. She didn't but he didn't.

It's all terribly interesting (to me; probably not to anyone else apart from the daughters) but also very time-consuming. And that's not to mention the 132 (out of the projected 144) tumbler shapes I've so far cut out of my friend's deceased husband's shirts, at her request, to make a quilt of them. Busy busy busy.

15 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:06 pm

    Such marvellous pictures and how fashions have changed! I like your picture too, you look very friendly and approachable. I wish I had more images of my family; sadly, they were unable to afford professional photographers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoyed looking at the photos! I thought they were lovely and enjoyed your commentary.💖

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your family has great hair too! Just like the Grieves. :) I adore old photos and am constantly amazed when my mom brings some out to look at. I think your photo is lovely! We are all so self-critical, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was 1996 not 1966 that we went to France... Just for the record!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How true! I'll change it! I was never good with figures...

      Delete
  5. I'd like to point out that this photo isn't really flattering - you look much better in real life. This is also only what you look like to yourself - you are actually a mirror image of this. You look lovely. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're a bit biased, darling Daughter 2! You notice I didn't take a photo in YOUR bathroom mirror with its very bright light, illuminating lots of wrinkles I didn't think I had till I met that mirror! But thank you, sweetie.

      Delete
  6. These are amazing photographs! I think I like (am I allowed to say this?) your father's paternal grandmother best. Was she formidable? She looks formidable. Best after you, obviously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, she was widowed at 40, with five children and no means of support, so I imagine she had to be quite formidable. My aunt said that she just sat in the corner, dressed in black, and paid no attention to her grandchildren. But then she was 73 when my aunt was born. I expect she was tired.

      Delete
  7. I think I see a likeness between your paternal Grandmother and yourself.
    Giggled when I read, She didn't but he didn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I'm quite like that granny. We both have small mouths. But I hardly knew her because she moved away when I was five so I don't know if we were alike in personality.

      Delete
  8. My, you truly are busy....I still have a bag of my husband's shirts and want to quilt something with them, but can't quite do it yet. He died in 2007. I am a wimp of some sort. Love old photos. Need to organize mine more! And I am sure your grandchildren add much happiness to your lives. And you will always be in their hearts, forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I sympathise. It would be so hard to cut into those shirts. Doing it with someone else's husband's isn't the same thing. Maybe you could get a friend to do it for you?

      Delete
  9. Hello Pam! I have not been on Blogger for a while, so I've just now read all through your February. Your posts are lovely and make me feel good! Your grandchildren are growing so fast! But then, mine are, too. I am now keeping my littlest (a girl) since her Mum went back to work. We are together 11 hours/day and she is precious... even when she is screaming. I'm old enough to check all the usual baby issues and then just let her rip... it is usually a tummy hurt of some kind, she passes it and is sunny again! How I wish we had your climate! Nothing blooming here in South Dakota, but maybe soon. Today was our warmest day yet so I was out doing a few things... including chipping ice! Blessings to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Busy indeed! You're darling! Pictures in mirrors are always better than selfies. I'm always horrified at my reflection -- where have the years gone? (And, like you, what about my hair???) I see the children playing with quilts (!) and I'm looking forward to seeing the quilt you're working on. The old pictures are very interesting -- you have such a nice collection and I know your girls will take good care of them. Oh to have some girls .... (Oh, and how fun to think of your sweet mum with all those suitors!)

    ReplyDelete