Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Lockdown week 13 - Tuesday and Wednesday


I seem to have fallen into the habit of posting about what we did yesterday, so in keeping with this ... tradition... yesterday I made two coconut cakes using the tinned coconut milk left by Daughter 2's tenants and some desiccated coconut from my own cupboard. Waste not, want not. Then, since I didn't have any coconut left, I iced them with chocolate butter icing. I froze one and then we had a slice of the other and I froze the rest. It was rather good.

I baked them in my newly-cleaned and not by me oven. Such decadence, to have one's oven cleaned by an oven-cleaning chap. But he did it so nicely.


Then we went for a walk to, and round, Saughton Park. I do love flowers, herbaceous ones particularly. Look at the length of those borders.


And the exuberance of those poppies.


It was quite warm so we sat on a bench in the shade for a bit.


Sage and two varieties of perennial geraniums.


Knautia and not-quite sure, with more can't-quite-think in the background.


Such as this lovely white thing. It looks like an astilbe but the leaves are wrong. Must do some research. Anyone?


And a mixture of geraniums and poppies and sage and grasses of some sort and ... etc.

Then we walked home along the river.


I love this little pebbly beach. You can just imagine what it was like when it was surrounded by open country - not that long ago, really - 100 years, maybe.


And this bit - I think possibly planted with wild flower seeds, or perhaps a happy accident - ox-eye daisies, red campion and viper's bugloss, yet another of the borage family.

Just over three miles.

Today we didn't go anywhere because we were waiting in for the washing machine man, coming between 1 and 5. In fact he came at 3 minutes to 5. But then the washing machine, which made a horrible bang just as it was finishing its spin on Monday, which is why we summoned him, seemed to be ok. Very embarrassing, oh dear.

We were going to go for an evening walk but one way or the other, didn't. Tomorrow we may be going to enter Phase 2 of lockdown loosening. Not quite sure what this would entail but I'm hoping that the Edinburgh family may be able to come into the house. Wouldn't that be exciting??

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:52 pm

    I do admire those borders - such an abundance of exuberance. I should love to walk there.

    Your cakes look good. I love baking but if I do it I should have to eat the end result and I do not care very much for sweet things.

    Fingers crossed that the family can come into your house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those poppies are very cheerful! I love the variety of types and colors of flowers on your walk. I am a huge fan of coconut and that cake sounds fabulous. With the chocolate frosting, it's almost like a Mounds bar! Do you have those? Your washing machine experience reminds me of many times taking the kids to the doctor and having their symptoms magically disappear. Exciting to be in Phase 2! We are here also, but I'm staying at 1.5.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, the coconut cakes look nice. Any chance of the recipe and I will make my husband's weekend (since we can't be with our children on Fathers' Day)?

    ReplyDelete