Friday, November 06, 2020

The time passes, corona-style

Dearie dearie me - nothing is happening. Nothing has really happened since March, or so it feels. However, I selected some fabrics for a cot quilt for Daughter 2's friend, who's having a baby on her own, through sperm donation. I'm not sure if I think this is a wise thing to do (the baby, not the quilt, which is neither here nor there), but anyway she wants stars on it, and colours shading from blue to green. I had fun picking out lots of fabrics from my stash (I have LOTS of blue and green, as you can see; perhaps I should embrace variety) and cutting them out. 

We went to the Botanics, which isn't newsworthy, though unusually there was a golden chimp climbing up the side of Inverleith House. 

And the colours, just like everyone else's colours, were lovely. 



And by the end of the week I'd got to this stage. 

Ooh, and both yesterday and today we had a viewer for Daughter 2's flat. I doubt if anything will come from either, though. Yesterday's was a nice old lady with her niece. She currently lives in a two-bedroom flat nearby so... why? She liked the size of the main cupboard and asked if there was anywhere to hang out the washing. (No.) Today's was a lovely young mum with her equally lovely four-year-old. She said it looked nicer than it did in the pictures and was really quite spacious, but also that they too live in a flat nearby and only have a balcony so it was difficult during lockdown and they would really like a house with a garden. Daughter 2's flat has a bit of communal grass along a bit from the back door but it's not a private garden. So, hmm. However, you never know. Perhaps even now someone's looking at it on line and thinking, hmm, that's a cool bathroom and I really like the cushions they've styled the beds with. You think? 

Fortunately we're still allowed to have the Edinburgh grandchildren in the house, which we really appreciate. 

5 comments:

  1. I love blues and greens, so I would end up with many fabrics in those colors if I quilted. Before Ashley had met her husband and was upset that she would never find anyone or have a child, I told her that she could have one on her own by adopting or doing IVF. Now I'm very glad that she didn't! Babies are lots of work even with two parents. Glad you still get to spend Fridays with the Edinburgh terrific two! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those colours - both the fabric ones and the autumnal leaves. We saw the lovely golden chimp on our tv too. Most impressive - I immediately thought "what on earth is that made of? It's going to damage the building, but I suppose it's filled with air" - am I right?

    What are you going to use to make those stars "pop" ? so far they seem to me to have fairly similar 'values'. It's always something I struggle with.

    So glad you saw the grandchildren - and I'm sure their parents appreciated a break. Best of luck with selling the flat, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'm going to make them pop - I wondered about doing them in yellow, or at least the ones on the pale background, but my daughter thinks white so I'm going with that. Yes, the golden monkey (not chimp, as it turns out) is a blow-up - still fairly heavy, I think, since it's huge.

      Delete
  3. Isn't choosing colors / fabrics / yarns the best part of most crafts? I love poring over the yarn websites when I'm getting ready to crochet a new project. There are so many lovely choices (at so many price levels - yikes!) so taking time to shop and compare is not only enjoyable, but smart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Another quilt project -- I'm looking forward to seeing it develop. I'm getting ready to start another advent calendar -- all those little felt ornaments -- not sure if I can pull it off for this year .... xo

    ReplyDelete