Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Trousers

Good news: I found suitable summer trousers the other week in Marks and Spencer's. (I am not a dressy person. If it's not in Marks and Spencer's, I go without.)

Bad news: the trousers fasten with a zip and hooks and eyes; the hooks tend to unhook themselves after which the zip slowly unzips itself.

Good news: this doesn't matter that much because I always wear a long shirt (to cover my bottom) when I wear trousers so that the unfastened zip isn't really visible, and my stomach sticks out far enough so that the trousers don't descend round my ankles. Or at least not immediately.

Bad news: I bought two pairs of these trousers (the second for when the first wears out) and though I discover this design flaw immediately, I can't be bothered returning them to the shop. I just spend the day rehooking and rezipping.

Good news: this is tedious but not unbearably so.

Bad news: now a bit of material has got stuck in the zip so that it doesn't go down more than an inch.

Good news: this is enough for me to get the trousers off at necessary moments by pulling in my stomach.

More good news: then when the trousers are up again, I can let out my stomach and the trousers are fully secure.

Even better news: this is the first time I've discovered an advantage in having a stomach that sticks out. Read this and weep, Molly Bawn.

18 comments:

  1. Oh you're so funny! A breath of fresh air.
    So there's an advantage in having a stomach?... love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sew a button on Isabelle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just the thing to wear in front of a class!
    (It'll keep you on your toes...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i understand completely, sounds like me

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm drowning in tears of envy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. At our age, life is just full of little compromises and adjustments. The unzipping zip is really uncomfortable! I go for black stretchy pants whatever the season, and whatever the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. linensandroyals8:38 am

    My good news is-I've discovered elastic waisted trousers, but maybe you're not ready yet to totally give up like me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a shame there's no Markies in Australia. Zxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think those must be the M & S trousers I have - definitely a design flaw. But I haven't taken them back either - I'm still recovering from taking back 3 vests and two pairs of pyjamas that M-in-law took against!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recently bought a belt from M&S, which fastens by means of a metal protuberance on the end underneath that snaps through a hole in the end on top (what's wrong with a buckle?) and which does not stay fastened. Since the first thing I did with the belt was cut off a pointless and bulky bit that covered the fastening, I can't take it back. Whilst I don't much care about the belt, which was cheap, the idea that they are selling huge numbers of belts and trousers that do not stay done up is beyond depressing (like, no one tested these by putting them on and moving about?).

    ReplyDelete
  11. You and Molly -- you're two funny, funny girls!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Braces are cool. No, really, they are. My son says so, so there you are. Problem solved.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's all the partying neighbours need---Isabelle, gallumphing around in baggy trousers held up with braces!

    ReplyDelete
  14. God, you are so funny Isabelle ! :)
    I do just the same while buying clothes atleast 50% of the time.....
    Is it to do with July 4th I wonder ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL Can't you do something with a bit of sew-on velcro to solve the problem? Although it would be preferable if M&S sorted the problem out permanently. I found some interesting floaty top/cardi things at M&S recently and I'm wearing them to death :-) Jo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ali Honey - read the post about punctuation saving lives!

    "Sew a button on, Isabelle!"

    8-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So funny. I thought button too, just as Ali said.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made my comment before I read Marcheline. I know Ali meant what I meant! Haha.
    Isabelle needs no buttons or bows, she is perfect just the way she is!!

    ReplyDelete