Thursday, January 09, 2014

Nothing much happened but...


It's been a nice day, despite the fact that it started with a check-up at the dentist. He didn't need to do anything, though there was an element of "yet..." in his verdict. Still, the sun shone once more and the city looked pretty.

Afterwards I rewarded myself with a visit to a bookshop with a café. A very pretty blonde girl was in the queue in front of me and she chose a cupcake. "Actually," she said to me, "I'd like one of each flavour." I looked at them. They were from Cuckoo's Bakery, near Daughter 2's wedding dress dressmaker's workshop. The daughters and I used to go there after fittings to have mum-and-daughter-and-sisterly chats.

"My husband would like that sticky toffee pudding one," I said, not intending to buy him one (since I'd like to keep him alive a bit longer. I didn't think it looked healthful).

The girl said to me, "The first date my boyfriend took me on was to Cuckoo's Bakery followed by the Botanic Gardens."

I applauded his taste in date venues (as well as girls. She was lovely). We had a minor chat. Their relationship has now been going for two years. I mentioned the fact that I'd been married for forty.


"Well," she said, "you should buy your husband one. You buy one for him and I'll buy one for my boyfriend. Let's do it! It would be romantic!"


So we did. I'm not sure whether he was more impressed by the romance or the taste. (Actually I think it was the taste.)

The pretty girl's name was the same as Daughter 2's.


Then I collected Grandson and he and I went to the Botanics.




There was a heron on the duck pond but it flew away as I took its photo. See that blur?



Home again, I got out our 30-year-old Duplo. Grandson hadn't seen it before. He LOVED it, especially as it has traffic lights which change colour if you move a lever up and down and even has red and green men signs. Traffic lights are among his favourite things.

It was dark by the time Mr L took him home after tea. About to get into the car, Grandson looked up at the clear sky, with moon and stars clearly visible. "Look - stars," I said. "Twinkle, twinkle, little...?"

"Twinkle twinkle little MOON!" he said, and chortled. Then he continued, "That's [Grandson]'s little joke. It's a very good joke."

Well, it made me smile.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing little N. I love hearing what he says. He makes me smile as well as you. Isn't it great that he has a lovely sense of humour already?
    " Too smart by three quarters, "( that came form a book I read recently.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The small cowboys love their Duplo too. Lovely pictures with that gorgeous light. Sticky Toffee pudding cupcake sounds delicious, and yes, romance every time even if it's really the taste!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That child is a hoot, isn't he. and the cakes looked good too.
    I love these chance encounters, and they help keep the world turning.
    These non robot tests are illegible. And bad for the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We still have our duplo from over 30 years ago.....but I don't think we have traffic lights! Yummy cakes, after all it's not something you do every day, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lining up cars, loving duplo. You are giving me gorgeous flashbacks to when my boys were littlies. That's a good joke he made too, I reckon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your grandson is so clever. It is lovely to hear him tease his granny. Is he too young for a riddle? "Deep within me is a bird, and in that bird another me, and in that me a bird again, what am I in letters three?" That was in the Mary Poppins book. Answer.... an egg! There are a few riddles in the book and that one is the easiest. Not sure of his age so he might be a little young. Blessings. Pat McDonald

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your grandson is so clever. It is lovely to hear him tease his granny. Is he too young for a riddle? "Deep within me is a bird, and in that bird another me, and in that me a bird again, what am I in letters three?" That was in the Mary Poppins book. Answer.... an egg! There are a few riddles in the book and that one is the easiest. Not sure of his age so he might be a little young. Blessings. Pat McDonald

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds a lovely day to me!

    The bookshop girl and the cakes could make a short story......I wanted to learn more :-)

    Grandson is going to have a literary bent like his Granny. Wordplay so young - wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww, what a little cutie small Grandson is -- and I love that you have such a wonderful relationship with him. I'll bet he's crazy about his granny!

    Now, we should talk. I loved the story about the cupcake line with the young girl. However, I'm concerned that you had to be talked into buying a cupcake. Remember. ALWAYS buy the cupcake. Hmmmm. You're a good wife and I'm a bad one. That's why your husband looks the way he does and mine looks the way he does. Sadly, I can't resist a cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What lovely days you have! Isn't it wonderful when grandchildren begin to show a sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you and a complete stranger made a spontaneous and romantic plot, and carried through. Well played!

    ReplyDelete