Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Adventures in time of Covid

Outdoor facilities are open again and so, during the Easter holidays, we've been taking advantage of this and the amazingly good weather. On Saturday I took the Edinburgh grandchildren to Weehailes (the somewhat cringeworthy name of the adventure playground at Newhailes House) and they had fun playing in the house-type-things, 

swinging on the zip line

and walking along the walkways. 



On Sunday we all went to the gardens of Lauriston Castle, from where we were driven by a sudden shower of snow - which didn't last. 


(This was pre-snow.)


Yesterday we went to Conifox, where there was this bouncy thing,


go-karts and various other activities - all jolly fun -


and today Son-in-Law 1 and I took them to Dalkeith Country Park adventure playground. 


This all went well until the end, when for a short while we lost Big Granddaughter. It's one of those places with large wooden buildings with internal stairs and slides, wobbly bridges and more than one exit, and it's hard to keep track of the children without following them into these non-adult-friendly places, but the kids stuck together and there were no problems. Then we were sitting at a picnic table fifteen minutes before the park closed at lunchtime, and they went for a final play in this house that we could see from where we were sitting. And then Big Grandson came out and Big Granddaughter didn't. Anyway, we did find her, but not before the park officials had asked what she was wearing, and SIL 1 and I went...umm. (We are not clothes people.) Then I remembered that she had on a white t-shirt with Lego people on it and I was about to say that I thought she had black trousers, when SIL 1 opined that she was wearing rainbow striped leggings and I thought, oh well, maybe. 

Afterwards, I realised that we should have said that she had bunches with big yellow fluffy balls on them and wore glasses - this might have been more striking. (And actually she was wearing black trousers with coloured stripes down the side. The rainbow leggings were yesterday.) And later Daughter 1 pointed out that I'd taken photos of her so I could have just looked at them... . 

Anyway, that was a bit stressful and I have come to the conclusion that I'm not a quick thinker in a crisis and that I should pay more attention to what people are wearing. 

 

7 comments:

  1. That would be scary and would drive any facts out of my head! You've been doing many fun things with the family. Hope you can soon visit your far away grandchildren too. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loathe those places. We have a few playgrounds with surprisingly precipitous structures for small children and as you say multiple exits.
    You seem to have some very nice places to take them though. Much more variety than we have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh No! That's so scary when you temporarily lose one of the children! I'm not good in a crisis either and can never remember what people are wearing -- I can't even remember what I'm wearing. It looks like you had lots of fun during their Easter break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't that temporary, either - about 15 minutes. I haven't yet recovered!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you're leading very entertaining lives, covid 19 notwithstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO scary to miss a child! I've been there, but my little one was just 2 when he went unnoticed in a public place. Fortunately he had just wandered a bit out of sight.
    You are so lucky to have so many places to visit! My adult son and his lady friend came to visit this past weekend, and there was no place to go for entertainment (they are not really into play parks;-) So other than a drive to see DS the Elder's current work project, and then a walk (not nearly as pretty as your walks), we just sat and visited and played a board game. Still nice when we had not seen him for months! And it would seem that your weather is much nicer than ours, too. Enjoy (what you can)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My name is Davies, I was in love with my wife and we were married for eight years with a son his is Liam,I loved my wife so much she had access to all my bank account and even my cash app which my accountant agreed to and said it was a great idea, then it took my wife and my accountant two month to get hold of all my properties,all accounts but I had a cash app which they knew nothing about,I was thrown out of my own house was sleeping in a hotel for weeks she also took possession of my son could only see him once a week then I found out she was in love with my accountant all these while so I went online and I came across a private investigator who help me get all my properties and my accounts back even my company back how he did these I don’t know but I gave all the information he asked for and followed all his instructions and now I’m happy my life’s better now.
    Thanks to premiumhackservices@gmail.com
    Text (407) 777-4240
    I just said I should share my own story here
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete