Monday, April 26, 2021

This and that and more of this


The beautiful weather continued till today, when it was mainly dull with a chillyish wind. On Friday, as usual, the children came in the afternoon and they played with the pebble fountain. 


One day we climbed Corstorphine Hill, enjoying the signs of spring 


and the views over the city. 


It's been so dry! Look at the dust-bowl paths. 


This is a translation into Lowland Scots of a poem about a snow leopard (or snow ghost, as the poet says here) which was in the paper on Saturday. I understand every word but use very few of them, so I imagine my children don't understand every word. Look, "plootering" - I used "ploutering", which is a variant spelling, in a blog post the other day. I should make a conscious effort to use more of these words, such as "stravaig", which means - oh, it's hard to find an English equivalent. It means wandering around but with an element of strutting - but more aimlessly and less confidently than strutting implies. And "cranreuch", which means so cold that it makes you shrivel away. A lot of the words are just Scots versions of the Anglo-Saxon or Norse words which have developed differently in standard English, so "wame" means stomach or womb - womb here, in its comforting sense - and "Ma whalpin wis byornar" means that his birth (whelping) was extraordinary - beyond ordinary.


Oh, the cherry blossom, or gean flooers. 


I don't know a Scots word for daffodils but aren't they pretty? Most daffodils are over now but these in the Botanics are particularly late-flowering. 


But here are the grandweans at the Botanics yesterday. They were pretending to film for their imaginary YouTube channel. Grandlad made Grandlass do several takes, coming round a bush doing a piece to camera. They took it very seriously. There was no actual camera but you can see him holding up his imaginary one while she comes into shot. 


We met a very friendly squirrel who probably hoped that we had some nuts for him. Or her. Unfortunately we didn't. 


Here's his/her friend, sitting on a sprouting gunnera.


Granddaughter likes to choose her own clothes these days. I don't personally feel that her pink top goes with her scarlet shorts, but didn't say so. Grandson, according to Son-in-Law, has even less interest in clothes than SIL does, and puts on what he's given without comment. 

Today - tadada! - I actually had some friends round for coffee - first a group of four and then later one friend. We were going to sit in the garden, abiding by the rules, but in fact it wasn't sunny today and was rather cold so we sat in the sitting room with the patio door open. Sort of like a gazebo, we reasoned. We've all been vaccinated and sat at least two metres apart from one another. It was very nice indeed to catch up with the news!

I'm nearing the end of the quilting of the ice cream quilt and once it's bound I must get back to the archives. And visit a charity shop with the stuff we've piled up in a bedroom. Clutter - hate it!
 

6 comments:

  1. How wonderful to have TWO coffee dates and spend lots of time outside(before the weather change); our daffodils are finished, and almost the tulips too. They came on quickly in the sun but bloomed out too quickly as well. I did not understand most of that poem; it really is a whole different language, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the indoor gazebo has saved many a case of pneumonia these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For what it's worth, Mum, the only word I didn't know in the poem was "cranreuch". I also didn't get "byornar" on the first pass, but I think I've seen it as "by-ornar" elsewhere which I would have got.

    I do use stravaiging relatively often, also dreich, fushionless and thole. And probably others that I can't think of right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also my first thought on seeing Granddaughter's ensemble was "Oops, red and pink," but she was dressed by then and it didn't seem worth having an argument.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so impressed that you understood all of that poem and I love that K knows it all too. I hope children will learn it too so that it's not lost -- as you've pointed out, there are words that sometimes just don't have a translation in English. Isn't it funny -- you think you have a word for everything, but ... And I quite like red and pink together and see it more and more in quilts -- especially Valentine's Day quilts. Perhaps L is more trendy than we know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My name is Davies, I was in love with my wife and we were married for eight years with a son his is Liam,I loved my wife so much she had access to all my bank account and even my cash app which my accountant agreed to and said it was a great idea, then it took my wife and my accountant two month to get hold of all my properties,all accounts but I had a cash app which they knew nothing about,I was thrown out of my own house was sleeping in a hotel for weeks she also took possession of my son could only see him once a week then I found out she was in love with my accountant all these while so I went online and I came across a private investigator who help me get all my properties and my accounts back even my company back how he did these I don’t know but I gave all the information he asked for and followed all his instructions and now I’m happy my life’s better now.
    Thanks to premiumhackservices@gmail.com
    Text (407) 777-4240
    I just said I should share my own story here
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete