Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Degrees of separation

Now that the school holidays are over, I've got back to my parents' archives, specifically today my father's. Here are my parents, in the middle part of this photo, at a dinner in the 50s, looking (well, being) very young. I remember that dress of my mum's. It was a sheer chiffon with fine black lines on it - giving the impression of being grey - and it had crimson and dark grey spots on it, with a black velvet ribbon in a bow at the front. 

My dad was a mathematician and engineer, a very clever chap, and he rose to be quite prominent in business. Here are six years' worth of group photos of a works dinner dance, all in the same room with an extraordinary ceiling. I have no idea where this was. 

The photographer seems to have been keener to feature the ceiling than the people. I think the heraldic bit is just painted on, so I imagine it no longer exists. 

Then I came across this letter to my father from Max Born, a well-known German physicist who won the Nobel Prize for his work on quantum mechanics. He was also my dad's professor at Edinburgh in my dad's later stint at university - after his war service. By this date, 1948, my father was working at Ferranti Ltd and was asked to give a talk, as above. I wonder what servomechanism theory is.

I idly Googled Max Born and found to my considerable surprise that one of his grandchildren is Olivia Newton-John.

Now when he was young, Mr L had a soft spot for ON-J - not that amazingly, given that she was very pretty and smiley. Today, he Googled her and discovered that she'd been born the day before Max B wrote the letter. 

Just think - my dad knew her grandpa, though I doubt whether my father had ever heard of O N-J. Still, that's 3 degrees of separation, isn't it? Mr L, my Dad, Max Born, O N-J. Or is that 4? - not sure how you calculate it. Anyway, considerably fewer than I'd have thought this morning. 

Oh, the throwing-out decisions, though... . What to keep, what to keep? 



 

8 comments:

  1. Every time you write about your dad I really wish I could have known him. He sounds incredible. (your mum too in a different way) The degrees of separation and their closeness can be mind boggling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog last year after arriving back in Australia after a visit to family in Glasgow. We had a wonderful weekend in Edinburgh just before we hastily changed plans and headed for home. The photos of your walks last year brought back lovely memories. I looked back through your posts and first one I found was of the day you met Diet Girl. Well, talk about degrees of separation! I know her and her mum and have read the book. Husband and I lived and worked in same town for many years. I too am missing my granddaughters as they live in Glasgow but facetime does help. Thankyou for sharing your stories and lovely photos! Regards Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strange how that oppressive and impressive ceiling looms over the people who should be centre stage in the photo. My advice is to keep everything and let the next generation deal with it. Your father must have been a brilliant man and almost knew O. N-J. (This is a comment from Linens and Royals which I have somehow deleted - sorry, L and R!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh My. How could you even part with ANY of it? Your mother was so elegant and how interesting - the connection between your father and Max Born. TheManoftheHouse always talks about his evening spent with your mother -- just wait until I tell him THIS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cyberspaceshield is a company with group of certified hacker, who are always ready to assist you with all your cyber problems.

    We’ve been in existence for ages now, we are reliable and helpful in terms of cyber bullying.

    We can help you get all your cyber threats and bullies solved in less than what you can ever imagine.

    These are somethings we specializes on:

    ➡️ Phone Hacks

    ➡️ Credit scores

    ➡️ Social media Hacks (Facebook, Instagram, tik tok).

    ➡️ Binary options

    ➡️ Binary Recovery

    ➡️ Clear criminal records etc.


    The internet is full of scammers, that’s why we’re here to help you fight them out.

    If you’ve been a victim of scam, don’t hesitate to write us on

    EMAIL: Cyberspaceshield@gmail.com

    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My name is Davies, I was in love with my wife and we were married for eight years with a son his is Liam,I loved my wife so much she had access to all my bank account and even my cash app which my accountant agreed to and said it was a great idea, then it took my wife and my accountant two month to get hold of all my properties,all accounts but I had a cash app which they knew nothing about,I was thrown out of my own house was sleeping in a hotel for weeks she also took possession of my son could only see him once a week then I found out she was in love with my accountant all these while so I went online and I came across a private investigator who help me get all my properties and my accounts back even my company back how he did these I don’t know but I gave all the information he asked for and followed all his instructions and now I’m happy my life’s better now.
    Thanks to premiumhackservices@gmail.com
    Text (407) 777-4240
    I just said I should share my own story here
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know of a group of private investigators who can help you with they are also hackers but prefer to be called private investigators They can help with your bitcoin issues and your clients will be happy doing business with you,they can also help yo with your bad credit score,hacking into phones,binary recovery,wiping criminal records,increase school score, stolen files in your office or school,blank atm etc. Just name it and you will live a better life
    whatsapp +1 (984) 733-3673
    Premiumhackservices@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Am short of words for the amazing profit you helped me earn in just a week with binary options strategy am so sorry I doubted at the beginning, I invested $200 and earn $2,500 in just one week, and kept on investing more, today I am financially successful, you can contact him via Email: (tdameritrade077@gmail.com) whatsapp(+447883246472) I advice you shouldn't hesitate. He's great.

    ReplyDelete