Monday, August 30, 2021

The book of gold

It still says that comments on my blog will be moderated - I don't know how to remove this - but they won't be. Though moderation worked all right to begin with, it became a great nuisance because I kept being notified of all these idiot scammy things on ancient posts, which I then had to delete both from my emails and my comment list - and they hardly matter, really, because they're so old and I don't suppose anyone looks at them. But also, marking things as spam didn't stop the same names appearing again - presumably from a different, um, address. And then my computer started refusing to delete them from my comments list. So all in all, sorry if you come across stupid comments urging you to do illegal things. Don't do it. 

That was interesting, wasn't it? (No.) 

In pursuit of organising the archives, I came across this citation giving the reasons for my father's award, at the age of 21, of the George Medal - a highly prestigious thing. He was presented with it at Buckingham Palace by George V1. Honestly, we later generations have had it so easy. So easy. I don't remember seeing this piece of paper before. I was aware that he'd defused maybe one particularly interesting bomb to win the medal. But this - well... . He was a brilliant and multi-talented man and could be great fun, but he could also be very difficult from time to time and I wish now that I'd made more allowances in my judgement of him on those occasions. 


In my infinitely less worthwhile life, I picked the Edinburgh Two up from school, admiring the view of the hill from their playground. 

We walked in Saughton Park, admiring the late summer flowers. 


And we went up to Son's to celebrate his 37th birthday (my baby!) with the Edinburgh Two and their parents. We had a lovely day, walking up the hill, 

ploutering in the burn (the children, not me)

and enjoying the sunshine. 

Medium and Biggest Granddaughter enjoyed crafting together (aww), 

while Son allowed Big Grandson to mow his lawn and paid him £2 for his efforts. Big G was delighted!


So it was all very pleasant but I feel that Dad will have a more impressive entry in the afterlife Who's Who than I will, with my gardening, cake-making and quilts. It's somewhat depressing, though I suppose some of us have to wash the kitchen floor and do the dishes. Dad certainly didn't.... .

 

14 comments:

  1. Ploutering in the burn--oh, how I love your language! Those flower colors were gorgeous together. I had never heard of defanging a bomb and your dad becomes more and more impressive the more I learn about him. Such brilliant people (and ones that have been through such stressful experiences) have perhaps earned the right to be difficult at times? It looks like a fun time with family. Happy Birthday, 37 year old (baby) Son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness - he had nerves of steel! Our only turned 41 a couple of months ago - where has the time gone? He's turned into a fine man, great husband and absolutely wonderful father, I'm so proud of him (and relieved!!) Tomorrow our part of New Zealand goes down to Level 3, which means still stay at home, no schools open (except for those very few children whose parents are Essential workers and have no choice) BUT we are allowed to 'expand our bubble' - so the children come to us for most of the day, while their parents work from home - with no distractions!! I've spent the last two days preparing craft activities, and finding worksheets I think they might enjoy - colouring in (Miss 3y6m) and figuring out (Mr 6y4). Keeping them busy is the key to a happy day. It will be wonderful to see them again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done your father!
    I have reported a scammer/nuisance commenter in the past..it did work

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOUR LIFE IS VERY WORTHWHILE! Love you, xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my sweet. I think you might be a bit biased!

      Delete
    2. Ah, no, she's very accurate! It is VERY worthwhile and I love reading about it. As you said, we've had is so easy by comparison. I have no doubt, if faced with similar world circumstances, that you would have done something equally brave. (Maybe not bomb diffusing, but there are many other brave acts of heroism out there!) XO

      Delete
  5. I agree with B! Your life is very worthwhile and we couldn't do without you. Signed, your daughters. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your father must have been an amazing man to do all that at just 21 years old. Your daughters are very sweet too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Pam, just popping up from under my stone because I was thinking about you today. I found a quote, which, reading your last paragraph, is coincidentally, quite apt.
    In your self assessment today, you don't mention the importance of the words you write, and the quote redresses this. It's by Natalie Goldberg.
    "We are important and our lives are important, magnificent really, and their details are worthy to be recorded. This is how writers must think, this is how we must sit down with pen in hand. We were here; we are human beings; this is how we lived. Let it be known, the earth passed before us. Our details are important. Otherwise, if they are not, we can drop a bomb and it doesn't matter ... Recording the details of our lives is a stance against bombs with their mass ability to kill, against too much speed and efficiency. A writer must say yes to life, to all of life: the water glasses, the Kemp's half-and-half, the ketchup on the counter ... to love the details, and step forward with a yes on our lips so there can be no more noes in the world, noes that invalidate life and stop these details from continuing."
    As long as you keep writing, I shall keep reading :)
    Clarissa

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know of a group of private investigators who can help you with they are also hackers but prefer to be called private investigators They can help with your bitcoin issues and your clients will be happy doing business with you,they can also help yo with your bad credit score,hacking into phones,binary recovery,wiping criminal records,increase school score, stolen files in your office or school,blank atm etc. Just name it and you will live a better life
    whatsapp +1 (984) 733-3673
    Premiumhackservices@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Am short of words for the amazing profit you helped me earn in just a week with binary options strategy am so sorry I doubted at the beginning, I invested $200 and earn $2,500 in just one week, and kept on investing more, today I am financially successful, you can contact him via Email: (tdameritrade077@gmail.com) whatsapp(+447883246472) I advice you shouldn't hesitate. He's great.

    ReplyDelete