Tuesday, February 01, 2022

Bad news, good news. And legs.

Bad news - well, it wasn't really unexpected - I got the results today of the x-rays my doctor sent me for because I'd consulted him about my sore leg and stiff hip. And I have "severe" osteoarthritis in my right hip (where the problem is) and "moderate" osteoarthritis in my left hip - which causes me very little trouble. Hey ho. I must be getting old. So I'm now on the (fairly long) road to a hip replacement. 

The GP seemed to think, on the phone today when he gave me my results, that having the operation was the right course. Somewhat discouragingly, when I first consulted him the other day, he warned me that it was a big operation with risks of blood clots, stroke, cardiac arrest and so on. He didn't mention this today. I shall have to keep healthy!

Or possibly just hang three spiders round my neck. 

When we were in the Botanics the other week, I admired some large, early-flowering snowdrops called "Colossus". So I Googled them the other day and found a stockist. Sadly, they were £10 per bulb - argh - but I ordered two and they arrived today - each with two flowers, which eased the pain a bit. Must remember not to dig them up when weeding, next year. 

Mr L used to work in the whisky industry, and many years ago was given this bottle. We don't drink whisky, so it sat in a cupboard. He thought it was worth something, so today we phoned a whisky auction house and they said it would probably go for £700 plus! So that'll buy a few more snowdrops, won't it? Mustn't drop the bottle on the way to deliver it for auction... .

And in the garden, ordinary crocus and little, much cheaper snowdrops are making a springlike show. Which is good.

But the best news is that my friend who had the stroke can now move her left leg. She sent us a video of this. Never did I think I'd find a film of someone waggling her knee so exciting. 

So, things to remember - keep healthy; don't dig up those expensive snowdrops; don't drop that bottle. And be grateful for legs, however imperfectly functioning. 

 

6 comments:

  1. Hip replacement, oh, my! However, I've had several friends who have had them and are doing fine. Much improvement in the long term. That's great news about your friend. I love hearing that there has been progress. I've known stroke victims who haven't been so lucky. I'm not a whisky fan so I can't imagine anyone paying that much for a bottle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all most excellent advice, of which I am sure any self-respecting astrologian would approve. In this night of mine it is indeed just past one of the clock, so I am very glad I passed it here with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear this Pam. I would have thought, with all your walking, that your bones were stronger. Ah, the joys of growing older. Given a choice, I'd prefer the Briony root and a necklace of spiders. I hope it all goes off well. It's a pretty routine procedure around here, being that Florida is God's waiting room and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but it won't be any time soon. I could die first. (I like to look on the bright side...)

      Delete
  4. Oh, my! The ages of medicine! Not sure I'd respond to the wearing of spiders... My brother has had 2 or 3 hip replacements, starting when he was in his 30's! All went well, as have those of several other people that I know. Guess you don't need to put it on your "top proprity" worry list for now, though.
    Everything here is frozen solid, however no joy of the beauty of snow. Just drab dead brown. At least I don't have to worry about slipping and falling, but it is too cold and windy to walk. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unbelievable that a bottle of any drink could bring that amount of money. If you drank it, it would end up in the sewerage system the next day....

    ReplyDelete