Friday, June 30, 2023

Human life


Life trundles by. We've now passed the longest day, but so far the shortening of the daylight isn't noticeable and summer flourishes on, though the hot weather has blessedly cooled down a bit, even in London, where it's been extremely hot. 


I've finished the quilt top with dragons on as requested by Big Granddaughter. She chose all the fabrics, most of which were from my stash, though I had to buy the dragons and the purple and violet solid fabrics - which are not really to my taste. There was a big gap between my starting and finishing it, because I put it away when we had visitors and then somehow never got it out again till a week ago. I don't love it, but it's what she wanted and it was very easy. It's actually considerably brighter than it looks here. I was somewhat reluctant to do her a dragon quilt because I made her a rabbit one only five years ago and she now says that her tastes have changed - the difference between five and ten years old (which seems about a week to me). I can't really see her liking dragons for long either. Still, there it is - for now. I shall have to get on with quilting it.


Unbelievably, Big Grandson has now finished with primary school and will go on to secondary in August. He had three orientation days last week, which he enjoyed, so that was good. And now it's the Scottish school holidays. He celebrated this by going on a bus/tram trip round Edinburgh with his father yesterday, while I took Big Granddaughter and her friend to the local trampoline centre. They both went on this terrifying slide thing, though her friend dared to go further up than she did. 


Then we went back to Big Granddaughter's house and they did various crafting activities. Big Granddaughter made an abstract painting. "This is supposed to reflect human life," she said. "I'm trying to be philosophical."

Frances asked about the flowers in the night-time picture of the garden in my previous post. The yellow is yellow loosestrife, which is a bit of a thug. I like it, but dig most of it out at the end of every year, which keeps in more or less in control - though it's got away from me this year. The lilac coloured sprawly things on the right are penstemons - the one taken as a cutting from the other. There are dark red peonies at the back and a pink begonia semperflorens in a pot on the right. 
 

3 comments:

  1. They're growing up so fast and we're getting older. I want to slow down time, just a bit! I do find the quilt pretty although I agree with you that she probably won't be into dragons for long. I've been wrong before though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grandchildren are lucky to have a talented grandmother. Even if your granddaughter 'grows out of' dragons, I'm sure she will treasure her quilt for years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dragon quilt is perfect - you must've done some sleuthing to find the dragon fabrics. I love the way you featured the big dragons. I'm betting L will love and cherish her quilt - if her tastes change as she gets older, she'll still treasure it as a gift from her beloved Granny.

    ReplyDelete