Monday, June 26, 2023

Summertime...

We're now past the longest day, which means that we're tilting over towards winter. But there's no perceptible difference yet. Above is the garden after 10 at night; 

and this is it after 11. It doesn't get dark here for very long at this time of year. 

In the Botanics, the last of the blue poppies blooms on, 

the trees are fully out

and some late rhododendrons provide lovely colour. 

I think this is a rogersia. I like it, though it's a bit spready for our garden. 

At the weekend we went up to see Son. The children showed us how fast they could run (really quite fast). 

Medium Granddaughter found a stripy snail. 



and went very high up in a crow's nest at the park. She's very agile, a trait she did not get from her granny. 

And we walked along the front at Dundee - or rather they scooted, Son and Daughter-in-Law trotted after them and we proceeded at a more leisurely pace. A lovely day, though a lot of driving to get there and back. I don't know what will happen once we're no longer able to make the journey by car. It's easy to get to Dundee by train, but they live some way out, in the country. 

Along our local path, summer is in full swing. 



 

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful time of year there with the colorful flowers and nice weather for perambulations with family. That snail is pretty, but I wouldn't want to hold it in my hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely your garden is. Do you have the time/inclination to tell me the names of plants in your first photo? Particularly of the yellow and the rich pink across the path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yellow is yellow loosestrife, which is a bit of a thug. You have to dig it all out most years and then a reasonable amount comes back the following year. At the moment, it's somewhat out of control! When you say "rich pink" do you mean the lilac coloured sprawly thing? It's penstemon. The dark pink at the back is a peony and the bright pink in the pot on the right is just a begonia.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much. The colours are celebratory, but I will certainly beware the loosestrife. The sun is rising here at 7.10, setting at 5.10; daytime temperatures only rising to around 12 degrees. I can see that my attitude is not realistic: once the shortest day has passed, I see summer on the horizon. When the December solstice comes I see that as the real beginning of summer. Not quite consistent, I see.

      Delete
  3. Your garden looks lovely. I love the long summer evenings, though last evening was quite dark and threatening rain, but not delivering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes the driving problem is getting nearer for us too. I have been advised not to drive ’ for the foreseeable future’ so that’s one down.

    ReplyDelete