Monday, November 22, 2010

With catlike tread...


It's so easy to have a conversation with family members who've been around you for years and know how your mind works.

In our choir, we've just started singing Rossini's Petite Messe Solonnelle, ie Little Solemn Mass. I didn't know that Rossini wrote sacred music; I was more familiar with The Barber of Seville and so on. Anyway, this piece starts reasonably solemnly but the fourth bit suddenly turns into something that sounds like a comic opera.

"Listen to this," I said to Daughter 1 and clamped my iPod to her ear. The words are very traditional: "Domine deus, rex caelestis, deus pater omnipotens" - Lord God, king of heaven, father God all powerful - and so on. But the music is very jolly.

She listened and her face brightened. "Ah yes," she said. "This'll be where the Pirate King comes in."

I don't know how much sense that makes to anyone else, but it's exactly what I meant. I love you, dear Daughter.

7 comments:

  1. Makes perfect sense to me, Isabelle :) My DD is in the States at the moment, just for a week to sort out their 'permanent' accommodation (please, not too permanent!) but it still leaves me feeling bereft. However, we did have a Skype video conversation today and I think that's going to be a lifesaver. Maybe try it with Daughter 2?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had to say I love that photo - looks for all the world as if he is about to go "Ta-dah!!" and produce one of those fake bunches of flowers that magicians keep up their sleeves. That would certainly prevent any "Petite Messe" from being too "solonnelle"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that feeling-both with my own mom and with my daughters-that connection of knowing what the other means. :) Thank you for making me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that family recognition...where you can just say the first couple of words of a story or a joke and everyone knows exactly what you're getting at.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, isn't that the neatest thing -- when your kids "get" you? A happy post Isabelle! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone gave me that Petite Messe on CD a couple of birthdays back. I tried to enjoy it but failed, probably didn't try hard enough. It wasn't really solemn enough for me, I like my sacred music properly solemn meself. I might listen again and try to imagine the Pirate King...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post gave me a very hearty laugh! Thankyou to you and Daughter 2!!

    ReplyDelete