Friday, August 31, 2012

Edinburgh on a sunny evening


Yesterday we had Grandson for the day again. I took him up to meet Daughter 1 from work and then wandered down through Princes Street Gardens to join friends for a meal at the West End. I felt as if I were on holiday because there was no particular reason to hurry home: no marking to do, no Mum to visit, no children - just Mr Life and the cats, who would be happy, I felt sure, with each other's company.


It was a lovely evening but the days are shortening - look at those long shadows on the grass even though it wasn't much after 6 pm. I felt happy to be meeting up with friends but sad that Mum - who was a great lover of warmth - wasn't enjoying the sunshine.

Today, however, it's remarkably chilly and somewhat damp, so she wouldn't have liked it. Which was - in a daft way - somewhat comforting.

It's strange how life goes on as usual - trees wave in the breeze, birds sing, the seasons roll round - with or without our loved ones. We know it will, of course, but it's still slightly surprising. And one day these things will happen without us too. (I like to end on a cheerful note...).



11 comments:

  1. Do you love Cold Comfort Farm? I only recently discovered it. I read it once, then twice more, back to back. I've never done that with any book ever. I'm sure you do love it. In the midst of our this month's bereavement I thought of the mother and that somehow helped with perspective and things. I do love your posts. they help too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the world will keep on turning......whether we are on it or not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And what a beautiful picture of the gardens but yes, it is getting chillier and darker in the evenings. Enjoy your days, love, with the lovely boy and another to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Isabelle, such beautiful pictures. I'm so sorry about your Mum. It's an odd feeling that life goes on, even though for a time after the loss of someone dear it feels as if the world has completely stopped and is silent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the lovely blue sky I remember your city having when I visited.
    Realising your Mum is no longer physically with you may take some time; I know it did with me and my Mum. I would be out shopping and see something and think oh that would be just right for a gift for Mum. Then feeling almost embarrassed I would think I don't have to buy her gifts any longer.
    I hope the world will go on turning without us....if we don't spoil it first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is something comforting in knowing that the world still turns without us I think...reminds us not to worry about anything too much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dad passed away on June 20th. My first reaction was...how can everything keep going as usual...my dad is no longer on this earth?! I expected the news media to announce anytime that my daddy was gone. The world continued ..as it should..but I'm left with a whole in my heart. Yes, it is a little easier than two months ago, but I sooo miss my dad. You're lucky you have a beautiful, happy, grand boy to help fill that void. I'm trying to enjoy friends, birds, trees, and flowers. Blessings Pat McDonald

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful peaceful photos, Isabelle, and I hope some of the peace can reflect back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are mere blips in the scheme of things. Enjoy every moment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Still sending you hugs. Some things don't change. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your cheerful footnotes! The gorgeous shadows reminded me of a David Inshaw painting.

    ReplyDelete