Monday, October 08, 2012

Sunshine in October


We've had four days of glorious autumn sunshine: balmy air, blue skies, soft breezes. Grandson's other grandparents were up for the weekend, as was Daughter 2, and on Saturday we went for a walk along the shore at Cramond.


The sea was an innocent blue. Oystercatchers lazed on the shore.


Surely winter can't be round the corner?


Home again, Grandson enjoyed playing with some polished stones and Miss Oswald's brass bowl. Miss Oswald was a very jolly 90-year-old neighbour of ours. She died some years ago but when she was a little girl, she and her three sisters were invited with the other children in their village to a children's party at the Big House. When they left, the children were each given a present and this bowl was hers (and much later she gave it to me ... longish story). I thought it was an odd Christmas gift for a child but in fact Grandson likes clanging the stones into it. And out again. And in again.


On Sunday, Daughter 2, Mr Life and I walked in the Botanics. We admired the autumm leaves - so orange and red and yellow! ...


... the gentians - so blue! ...


... and the autumn crocuses - so purple!


Cassie also had a pleasant weekend.

7 comments:

  1. Oh no, Winter is ages away, weeks and months and weeks and days away. On no. No Winter yet! Look at that sunny child smile. He knows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, look at all those teeth! what a great smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tonight's weather in La Vergne, Tennessee, USA, is forecast for 36 degrees F. We had baseball games with our 11 and 8 year old grandchildren. We wrapped up in jackets, gloves, and blankets. I hope this colder weather is temporary. I still want to enjoy some warm fall days. I made hot cocoa when I returned home so I am getting warmer now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful place to live - and with level walks, too! Grandson is looking very grown-up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please send the sun down here when you feel able to part with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, first of all, I must say I'm shocked that, given such a gorgeous weekend, you didn't go "walk" Ben Nevis! There I was relegated to terrible weather and you had perfect conditions.

    Oh well, it looks like you had a perfect weekend anyway. Love that cute picture of wee grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi

    Thanks so much for coming over to my blog. All grammar advice is very welcome - I am a bit of a spelling freak, but unsure about the old apostrophe!

    I've been following your blog for ages, but only started 'following' when I started my blog (if you know what I mean), think I may have commented before. I love the photos and the cats.

    Do come over again.

    ReplyDelete