Wednesday, January 24, 2024

The retired life


The weather has been somewhat revolting for the last couple of weeks - rainy and sometimes very windy - so we've sought indoor activities. For example, we went to an exhibition featuring the art of the printer over the centuries. I would very much have this Elizabeth Blackadder on my walls, thank you.


I love the cat's fed-up expression, all in the eyes. 

In complete contrast is this, by Claude Mellan (1598-1688). The entire picture is one line, starting on the tip of the nose and moving outwards, the darker areas being made when the line(s) get closer together.


The line is an estimated 150 metres long. I hope that M. Mellan would be pleased that, four-ish centuries after he slaved away on it, people are still finding it amazing. 


On Saturday, hooray, the sun shone for our walking group, so we took advantage of this. (I'm in the middle, with a black coat.) It was lovely to be outside, stretching the old legs. 

I'm getting on with quilting Big Granddaughter's dragon quilt (dragons not pictured). She's given me detailed instructions on how to quilt it. I might have chosen less labour-intensive ways, but she was firm. 


Another wet day we went to the museum, where there was an exhibition of wildlife photography. 


A mum and baby hippo by Mike Korostolev. 


A horseshoe crab, which is seemingly not a crab at all, with some fish which are hovering about, hoping  that the horseshoe non-crab will disturb something that they can then eat. This was taken by Laurent Ballesta and won the Wildlife Photographer of the Year. 


This is very impressive too, by Amit Eshel: two Nubian ibex having a fight. Kind of symbolises what's going on in the world, led by idiot males. At least the ibex are only endangering themselves. 



And today it wasn't raining so we walked along the river through Stockbridge. Look how wide the river is at the moment, after all that rain. 


It was peaceful, though. 

We took some stuff to charity shops - we do this so often that I can't understand why we still have so much stuff left - must try harder -


and enjoyed the sunshine and exercise. 
 

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful to get out in decent weather and also to find interesting indoor activities. The one line drawing was extremely impressive; my mind boggles even trying to figure it out. That cat looks like my Mari!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to find such a nice balance of culture, nature, and activity to enjoy in retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to get out after being hemmed in by the weather, and good to catch up with walking friends

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Maureen - a really nice balance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree about the very small dent that numerous trips to charity shops make in the Stuff. We have to up our game as there is serious building work to be done (structural repairs, nothing glamorous) and cupboards must be completely emptied for access to the walls behind them. I have got to face the photos, ephemera and memorabilia. I know you have done this so can empathise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I've only done some of it. Lots more!

      Delete
  6. What an extraordinary artist to be able to visualise that face!I suppose he used a Lightbox, I can't imagine it could have all been freehand. Your recovery must be going well, if you're up to walking with your group - well done you! I agree, decluttering is a constant battle, and we are definitely not on the winning side. Grandchildren's toys don't help, but I really can't blame them.

    ReplyDelete