Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Bright!

In my fairly unproductive life these days, nothing very much happens - which is on the whole good, but doesn't leave a lot to blog about. I see quite a lot of friends, which is lovely: two separate groups of school friends, friends from the one school and from the two colleges that I taught at, other friends from my youth and some from more recent years. I feel very lucky to have all these people in my life and am very aware that we're all getting older and must treasure these friendships while we're all still able to get about. 

For example, I had coffee today with four women with whom I started teaching at a high school in 1973 - over 50 years ago. One by one we all left that school to have children or teach elsewhere, but we've kept seeing one another ever since. We've been married (and, apart from one who's widowed, are all still married), four of us have had children and grandchildren and we've all had ups and downs and house moves and mainly minor ailments and some of them have had major troubles and one's had a stroke but - we chatter on, and it's lovely.

I know I often blog about flowers, but here are more. I went to the Botanics the other day and some of the rhododendrons are in full flower - mainly the pink ones. Filling one's gaze with colour is very therapeutic. 





Yesterday, Mr L and I visited Shepherd House in Inveresk, which is really joined on to the eastern side of the city now, though it used to be a separate village. We've walked past this house before, but never when the gardens were open. The house was built in 1650ish but has been owned since 1957 (yes!) by very keen gardeners, who have over the years made it really beautiful. Now in their nineties, they still open the gardens sometimes for charity. 


There are various jolly touches. This is a yew sheep.

A bunch of tulips in pebbles.



I really want some of these yellow-headed snowdrops, but alas, none of the stockists I can find have any actually in stock. 

The hellebores were stunning. 







I know what he means! 

 This is Inveresk village - it's picturesque, despite the orange - which is a traditional colour for old Scottish harled (pebble-dashed) buildings. A mistake, I feel, but at least one hallowed by centuries. 

5 comments:

  1. Never apologise for displaying flowers - they are a joy to behold.
    I wonder why orange was chosen - it surely cannot just have been a passing fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at those flowers! I love the two toned one you're holding--what is it? (excuse my ignorance!) I like the life you describe and try to emulate it as well. Lots of coffee dates and get togethers plus time with family. It's a small life, but beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the ones in my hands are also hellebores.

      Delete
  3. I love gardens and flowers too, especially those hellebores.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I envy your beautiful walks in the sunshine with flowers! Every time you post about a walk somewhere, I add to the big list in my head of the places that I must visit on my next visit. As a side note, last night I accidentally sat down on one of my very sharp little double pointed knitting needles and it poked me in the hip -- I immediately thought of you and your needle - Ouch! ;-D

    ReplyDelete