Saturday, February 24, 2024

Flowers, flowers, flowers


It's definitely spring in the garden, which is full of crocuses. 

I think I like these pale yellow ones best, 

but really,

after the winter, any colour is welcome. Well, apart from orange - though the crocus stamens are acceptable. 

Compared to my life as a teacher, which was a whirlwind all day and a frantic round of marking and preparation all evening, our current lives are - I hesitate to say dull, because it's on the whole lovely to be able to potter around, drink coffee with friends and so on - but certainly much less eventful. However, the joy is that we can do things such as, the other day, going to Dawyck Botanic Gardens in the Borders to see their snowdrops. 

They have lots of different varieties, though really it's the huge numbers that are, to me, more impressive. 


They're beautiful individually, especially if you upturn their little faces, 

but in huge swathes,

which frankly don't come out particularly well in photographs,

 


they're stunning to stand and look at.

Wise of them to bloom in early spring, when there's not much competition and we're starving for flowers and beauty and hope. 

Mr L is off to Glasgow with Big Grandson to see the model railway exhibition, so I'm going to take myself off to our Botanic Gardens for a walk in the sunshine. 

2 comments:

  1. How lovely to see such swathes of snowdrops. I wonder what Wordsworth would have written? Rhymes for snowdrops don't come easily to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not familiar with snowdrops although I think (?) we have them here. I love crocuses although mine are mainly purple or white with purple. Those pale yellow ones are beautiful. I know how you feel about orange! :)

    ReplyDelete