Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Coronavirus days - immediately before lockdown; lockdown week 1 - Tuesday

Well, this is all very odd and alarming, isn't it? It's hard to believe that only a week ago I was in London, and now we're forbidden to leave our houses except for shopping or one walk a day with the members of one's household. Everything's closed except for food shops, pharmacies, banks and so on. And from being fairly energetic and healthy retired people, we've suddenly become the vulnerable elderly. 

Daughter 2 bought a flat in Edinburgh in 2009 and immediately saw it plummet in value because of the recession. She lived in it for a short while, made it pretty, and then got married and moved to London (alas, alack). So she rented it out to await its rising in value; which has happened. Tenants have come and gone, some leaving the flat in better condition than others, and this year was the year she was going to sell it and their flat in London in the attempt to buy a house there - at huge and ridiculous expense. So she gave her tenants notice and they moved out a week past Sunday. Then lockdown happened, many working people lost lots of money and this is definitely not the time to be selling houses. They now have two mortgages to pay. Hmm. 

Mr L and I went down to inspect the flat after the tenants went and were not happy at what we found. There are huge scores in her prized wooden floor, everything is pretty dirty, the place reeks of smoke (smoking was forbidden in the rental agreement) and the tenants left lots of stuff, including a big leatherette sofa and a table made out of wooden crates. 


Luckily we managed to get some chaps with a van to come and take away most of the extra stuff yesterday - the very day before all such things would have been impossible. We got cleaners arranged to come today - no, this had to be cancelled - and decorators next weekend - ditto. So everything's ground to a halt. This doesn't matter hugely, since we can't market or let the flat at the moment anyway. 



At least it looks better now. We removed the loose covers and took down the curtains and have washed these, so we hope that the smell will be better when we return - whenever that will be.


Today we went for our permitted walk up Corstorphine Hill, which is near our house. It wasn't busy, though there were some dog walkers.


This is Murrayfield Golf Club, which is closed like most other places. You can see another of our hills, Arthur's Seat, in the distance.


We met these ladies - the Zoo is on part of the hill.


It was slightly misty, and as we went down the other side, the Pentland Hills looked distant and blue.


But then the sun came out and the gorse, or whin as we might call it, was a blaze of yellow.


It was hard to believe that life wasn't perfectly normal. But it's not.

(Just this moment, my phone has pinged with a text message from UK Government - I don't remember giving them my number - saying: New rules in force now: you must stay at home.

I hope this doesn't mean more restrictions.

Still, there's always quilting. And gardening. And blogging. And housework (though somehow I don't feel the same incentive for that). But no grandchildren, which is AWFUL.)

11 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that you're dealing with the stress--me too! And it's all happened so fast. I hope the flat sells so the financial burden will be lessened. I am still hoping to get back to my grandchild's birth at the end of May but New York is hard hit, so I'm trying to accept that it might not happen. :( Are Ross and you prohibited from even taking a walk? That would be very tough for me. Sending love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also now one of the "vulnerable elderly", tired of being at home but getting lots of sewing done. Love reading your blog so please do lots of posts so I can think of someone beside myself. Might even have to restart my own blog. You must be missing your grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sorry to hear about your daughter's Edinburgh flat. I hope that works out well in the long run...And so sorry that you can't spend time with your grandchildren! I only see mine on facetime or skype now...I'm also the vulnerable elderly and don't like it much! But otherwise, things seem to be going well and I've taken up watercolor again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Pam.
    Your last paragraph is what my comment would have been.
    I also hate turning from a fit 74 year old into this person called aged vulnerable...but I am isolating and will try and make the best use of my time. Luckily we both get along pretty well after 52 + years
    Best Wishes to ALL your family from NZ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Strange times, indeed. Every day feels like Sunday because everything is so quiet. What a blessing that is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not seeing grandchildren is awful! On our walk today we saw some meeting their grandbaby for the first time and all they could do was gaze at him from a safe distance. No cuddles allowed. How unbearable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sadly, Blogger won't let me blog any more! When I try to go to my dashboard, It says that I don't have a blog. It also says, confusingly, that I'm signed into Google with my correct gmail address. I'm so frustrated! When I go to my blog, I'm signed in all right. Anyway. This may be Goodbye!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I mean that it says I'm signed into Blogger. Anyway. I don't understand it. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:32 am

    Yes, how did the Government get our mobile numbers?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why on earth are you allowed only one walk a day? For goodness sake, is anyone out there counting? So glad I don't have a mobile phone, nobody can send dictatorial texts telling me what I can and can't do. I watch the news on tv every night, so I am well aware of our restrictions, and do not want to be reminded of them by intrusive phone messages!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just re read the tail end of your post - not allowed out at all? What about food and medical supplies? We went for a half hour drive today, to get straw for the chicken coop. I asked our local police for advice about going out and he said that would be classed as an essential trip, if we are relying on the chooks for eggs. Good excuse if we can get away with it!

    ReplyDelete