Monday, March 02, 2020

Walls


I've now cut all the tumbler shapes for the middle part of the quilt I'm making for my friend - these are all from the shirts and pyjamas of her late husband. It did seem a bit odd, handling his clothes, but she was keen for me to do it and she's a lovely friend.


And... the annual photo of my amaryllis - watered for 360 days of the year when it's a potful of green leaves, all for the triumphant five days when it's glorious.


Big Granddaughter went to a climbing wall party the other week, so was keen to try it again. So SIL 1 and I took her and her brother. This place is bonkers - see that person up there? She was a young woman. She climbed up there, foothold and handhold, foothold and handhold, removing one hand from time to time to clip herself on to the next hook. Mad!!! Very brave, looking at it another way. It was VERY high, much higher than it looks there.


But then, can you see Big Granddaughter???? Yes, there she is, at the top, having gone foothold to foothold, handhold to handhold up there. She did it lots of times, on different walls. The boy at the bottom is Big Grandson. He (wisely) never got above head height before deciding to come down again. That's my boy... .


This was another thing. You had to crawl - or some bigger kids just stepped - from pole to pole. She went right to the top, which is about twice as high as she is here - and then the way to descend is just to launch yourself off and the harness lowers you down. Theoretically. (Well, it did. But I wouldn't have trusted it.)


Then we came home and did lots of Heads, Bodies and Legs. Much more my idea of fun.


She's an avid reader. Son used to get The Beano when he was little and I kept his collection. She's about to be seven. Time whizzes past.


Today we visited friends and they took us to Paisley Abbey, where we'd never been. It's quite impressive. 


Someone had done a nice time line about its history. 


I'm not sure what my favourite castle is. You?


Oops indeed. The choir area got rebuilt only in the late nineteenth century.


It's a lovely building but it would take a bit of filling - I doubt if it's often standing room only these days.

7 comments:

  1. Gosh, this is all glorious! Amaryllis especially so- worth the wait and the watering. Climbing children are indeed terrifying. But it must be good for them. That's resilience in all its fullness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blues of the quilt! Your granddaughter is very brave. I don't like heights at all. Paisley Abbey looks familiar--did I go there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure. I don't think so! It's near Glasgow.

      Delete
  3. That quilt will be such a treasure for your friend! And you granddaughter! Seven! I remember reading when she was born. As we get older and perhaps pay more attention to the passing of time, it seems to just fly by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful flowers on your blog! I am afraid of heights so I would have been a nervous wreck! I would love to visit a castle.💖 I have visited St Patrick's Cathedral in New York City and a few others and love stained glass but usually taking photos aren't allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam, in A Great Computer Purge, I have lost your email. Could you email me? Sending you much love and many prayers in the meantime x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your posts are so full of interesting things! That quilt! I LOVE it -- I hope the recipient will love it too -- it's a lot of work, but it's looking wonderful! It looks like Biggest Granddaughter is a little daredevil! Your amaryllis is beautiful -- my flower-growing niece gave me an amaryllis for Christmas and it was so pretty, but now I'm not sure how to care for it -- I seek your sage wisdom and advice. I still have it in a pot by the window, even thought the flowering is over.
    I also meant to say in your last post that you failed to tell me how busy this retirement thing is -- I feel like I'm busy busy all day long, but don't get much done. I certainly don't get out as much as you do -- I love that you go for walks, etc. (Also, how could you pick a favorite castle -- there are so many gorgeous ones there!) Aren't we lucky though that we are busy -- at least it's a diversion from every day worries. XOXO

    ReplyDelete