Tuesday, December 08, 2020

Friends and such like and the vaccine


Daughter 2 sent us a package containing 24 little gifts to be opened every day up till Christmas. She did it for her parents-in-law as well. She is a sweetie. 


This was yesterday's. Rudolph's red noses are Littlest Granddaughter's fingerprints. Very precious! 


And here's another interpretation of Rudolph, seen on our walk yesterday. 


Somehow the days rush by. I've now finished, and posted, all the Christmas cards and letters. I personalise them all - using a basic letter I've written on the computer, but making changes according to the recipient. And when I don't enclose a letter, I always write a message on the card, otherwise there's not much point, is there? So it takes some days. 

And I've made more Christmas cakes (traditional British rich fruit cakes). They keep for a long time - indeed, one's supposed to make them months ahead, but I never do.

So by the time I've done this sort of thing and we've been out for a walk and made the meal and done other domestic tasks, the days don't drag. And now I've got back to sewing together the cot quilt my best school friend has asked me to make for her fourth grandchild. I can't imagine that her daughter really needs it, but am happy to make it anyway. 

My second best school friend's Christmas card arrived today. All that was written on it, as usual, was "From" and her name, her husband's and her son's. I haven't seen her since our sons were tiny - and they're now 36. She never responds to my occasional suggestions that we meet, and so every few years I think - this is silly; why do we keep exchanging Christmas cards? So I stop, but she persists and so I weakly start sending them again, with some news. I'm torn between thinking I'll stop again and thinking - oh, we're 70 now, I might as well continue for the remaining years. I'm sad about it in a way but it's been her choice and I've got over it. She was always a good friend but a bit odd, and there was a tragic event in her family at the end of university which - my theory is -  may have made her want a fresh start. Which I can sort of understand; but I don't understand why she keeps on sending cards - only to me, not to anyone else from school. Ah well. 

The first people in Britain got Covid-19 vaccines jabs today. Hooray. 



 

2 comments:

  1. That's wonderful that you're keeping busy and doing some fun things for Xmas. What a clever idea from Daughter 2! I've gotten three cards so far(from random people0, but I do New Year's cards instead, so it could be a cheap year. :) There was a much more primitive Rudolph similar to that on my walk. Someone had tried to make one; it was cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, DD2 is a treasure indeed! What a cute idea -- I'm looking forward to the rest of them! ;-D I have the same thoughts about some of the people I exchange cards with -- especially when they only sign their name - what's the point? I think it about Christmas gifts too when exchanging gift cards -- you give me a gift card and I give you one. What's the point??? Bah Humbug LOL.

    ReplyDelete