Thursday, December 31, 2020

Goodbye, 2020

And so the year of the virus winds to its end. I would happily wish it goodbye except... there have been some good things and, apart from missing our family horribly, it's been pleasant enough in most ways. And we're still here, which isn't ever a given now we're both over three score years and ten. Daughter 2 sent us this calendar which she'd ordered, with pictures of everyone in it. So lovely. 

We're still allowed to meet the Edinburgh family outside so yesterday we went to Lauriston Castle, not far away. It's been snowing, as you can see. It doesn't really snow often here so the children were very excited. 

The slanting sun on the snow, the trees, the children, the sea and the island looked beautiful. 


We were careful not to fall in the water, 

which was frozen, though in fact the air temperature didn't feel particularly cold - there was no wind.

It was a golden outing - so precious to be with our lovely family.

Then the children came home with us for tea. We'd not thought to take sledges with us to Lauriston, so we fished our children's old ones out of the garage and the grandchildren had such fun sliding in our very gently sloping front garden. It was extremely tame really, but they're inventive: Big Grandson (9) was riding on "The Red Lines Train" and Biggest Granddaughter (7), who is (in my opinion) rather good at puns for her age, was playing in an adventure park called "Sledgendary Fun" which had a ride called "Snowlercoaster". 

Outside, the snowy garden. Inside, begonias rescued from the garden at the end of the summer, and the first hyacinths of the season. 

And I've finished the cot quilt for my friend's grandson, due in February. I actually finished the quilting a week or two ago and then - only then - checked the back to make sure that it was ok. Like not (for example) upside down in relation to the front. And it was upside down. After the first three seconds when I thought, oh well, who looks at the back and the front at the same time? - I started unpicking it. I couldn't present it like that. And what else have I to do with my life at the moment? (Well, lots of sorting out and so on, but nothing exciting.)

Here's the back. As you can see, it even has writing on it (thanks for the fabric, Thimbleanna!) just so that no one could fail to notice which way up it was. Well, no one except me. Sigh.


 Anyway, it's done now. Blue, vehicles and animals was the brief. That was my sixth quilt of the year, which shows how much extra spare time there's been.

And now I must not start another quilt until the archives are organised - properly organised, which must include some purging as well as some sorting other than chucking into different boxes. Purging is hard. Purging is emotional.

So that was the year. Like most people, I've found it quite hard at times and am pinning my hopes on next year's being a lot better. We'll see. What else could fate throw at us? (Don't answer that.)

I send my very best wishes to the kind commenters as well as the many unknown lurkers who appear to land on my blog every day from various places in the world, according to the statistics. Who are you?? Anyway, I'm sure we're all hoping for a brighter 2021. 

"Ring out the old, ring in the new:

Ring, happy bells across the snow.

The year is going, let him go;

Ring out the false, ring in the true."

(He knew a thing or two, Tennyson.)


12 comments:

  1. Once again typing into the void I fear, but here to wish you a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Year! Hoping it's better. We've all done a lot more walking and appreciating of nature and the natural beauty of where we live. I didn't realize that Edinburgh got ANY snow; it's very picturesque! Good work on the quilt and on being #1 granny. I'm hoping to be that some day too. Your calendar is wonderful; I made a Niko calendar for my parents, but I can't post it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year to you. Snow, without the bite of wind, looked enticing. I like Miss 7's clever use of puns. Having practiced on your gentle slope, they'll be ripe for exiting adventures on their next trip out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had an unexpected snowfall late on Christmas Day but no grandchildren were around to sledge on it. Glad your grandchildren made the best of it.

    May 2021 bring us more hope than fear. More kindness than thoughtlessness. Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year to you and yours. Your blog has been one of the fun mainstays of this difficult year. I kept intending to resurrect my blog to document the odd experiences of 2020 but somehow never managed to do so (can't even claim not to have had the time!) Hopefully 2021 will be a whole lot better. It would be nice to meet you in 3D again to blether casually over a cuppa- who knew we would look back on tea and a scone in the National Trust tea room as an undreamed-of luxury! Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you. It would indeed be lovely to meet up again. As you say, fingers crossed!

      Delete
  6. A lurker here. A writer friend (who had also been through early year bushfires gave 2020 a 3 star review: a really terrible plot, but some good character development. Seemed fair to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Thanks for delurking. Happy New Year! I don't think I'd go as far as 3 stars, though. 2, possibly...

      Delete
  7. Love those family calendars. And six quilts?? You shame me! Even if it's just a small seam, I'm planning on sewing every day this year. Something has to give, my sewing room gets more cluttered each year. Maybe I'll finally declutter it this year. Let's hope 2021 will give us back at least some of the things we took so much for granted pre covid, and now miss horribly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually seven, when I counted!

      Delete
  8. Ahhh, the famous back is upside down trick. You're definitely earning your "Quilter" stripes -- I feel like you can't really be a quilter until you've made that mistake -- a lot of us have been there. You excel though -- you unpicked it!!! Anyway, the little quilt is darling -- what a beautiful gift for a new mum. Looks like the grandchildren had a great time in the snow -- they're SO clever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would NEVER have unpicked a finished quilt! I would have thought, "oh, good! Now when I turn the top back on itself, it will appear right-side-up!"
    I'm not really a lurker, but rather someone who just doesn't visit her own blog often enough and by consequence, not the blogs she reads, either!
    You are SO VERY lucky to have such beautiful and interesting places to walk. I am supposed to be walking at least 40 minutes a day but I cannot bear the boredom of trudging around my cookie-cutter subdivision. There is one city park on the other side of town that is rather nice, but it is not really set up for walking - unless you walk the perimenter, through the middle, and around the other way. That might take 20 minutes, so not really worth the drive over there. SOMEday I will get out and about and visit more of the local parks and maybe County or State parks and see if I can't find someplace more pleasant to walk. Going out into he countryside here is nothing like the countryside in the UK. Out here on the open plains, the roads are either high-speed racetracks or dusty gravel paths - totally unsafe for walking. Sigh.... Oh for the time we can visit tye UK again...

    ReplyDelete