Tuesday, March 02, 2021

Miss M

For us, as for most others, life is very eventless at the moment, but we usually go for a walk with Daughter 2 and her family at the weekend, which is our only opportunity to see her at any length. On Sunday we walked along the river to Stockbridge. The children had a happy time playing, whenever we stopped, as children always do. 

It was quite busy with others finding limited opportunities for recreation, but it's always pleasant down there.

You often see tourists here in normal times - there are clearly books on Edinburgh featuring this as a place to walk - and even on Sunday there were a few foreigners among the locals. 

So it was a nice afternoon. Then I gardened much of yesterday, when the weather was beautiful. There's quite a bit of spring tidying-up still to do. Spring and autumn are busy times for the gardener, or at least it is if you have our sort of garden, with lots of herbaceous perennials. Our new grass (where we got the hedge removed in the autumn) was looking great till the snow, which squashed it down and seems to have killed bits of it. But I expect it'll recover.

And then home-schooling started again for me yesterday afternoon. Big Granddaughter's been back at school for a week and a bit now, and seems happy. Big Grandson is due to go back on the 15th, so I'll have a bit more time to do other stuff after that (till the Easter holidays begin). 

The other day, I came across in a drawer the death announcement (from 2000) of my maths teacher. She was an absolutely horrible person - tyrannical and bullying and sarcastic. She was 85 when she died, and the announcement said she was the beloved aunt of some people (she was unmarried) and the beloved adopted "aunt" of another family. It seems really hard to believe that her family - and even some non-family - loved her! I just can't imagine her being anything but nasty. But presumably she was. I wonder what made her that way to us. Our class, anyway, was quite academic and very well-behaved - indeed, too terrified of her to be anything else. Aren't human beings strange? I wonder if she'd missed her chance at marriage because of the war - quite likely (she'd be 24 in 1939) - and was embittered because of this and thus jealous of us girls, with our lives before us. But then - she must have been nice at home: no one needs to use "beloved" twice in a death notice. It's a mystery... .

It's not really that I still bear a grudge, but I'm quite pleased to be alive in a world that doesn't contain her. 

 

4 comments:

  1. People always write nice(but not always true) things in obituaries; she was probably a curmudgeon in her personal life too. It's that "don't speak ill of the dead" axiom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Often people who are mathematically gifted (if she was? ) have no idea how to teach others with maths. I wonder how she coped with slower learners.
    There is a pleasing little lighthouse in the marina photo. I like lighthouses...but wouldn't want to live in one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I struggled with maths because I wasn't very good at it, not because of a nasty teacher! I was, however, put off history for life by a large, pompous teacher who loved the sound of his own voice. I hated him with a vengance- and got an F in my History GCSE. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)
    Dean valley looks so lovely. I love the photos you post of your walks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My name is Davies, I was in love with my wife and we were married for eight years with a son his is Liam,I loved my wife so much she had access to all my bank account and even my cash app which my accountant agreed to and said it was a great idea, then it took my wife and my accountant two month to get hold of all my properties,all accounts but I had a cash app which they knew nothing about,I was thrown out of my own house was sleeping in a hotel for weeks she also took possession of my son could only see him once a week then I found out she was in love with my accountant all these while so I went online and I came across a private investigator who help me get all my properties and my accounts back even my company back how he did these I don’t know but I gave all the information he asked for and followed all his instructions and now I’m happy my life’s better now.
    Thanks to premiumhackservices@gmail.com
    Text (407) 777-4240
    I just said I should share my own story here
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete