Monday, July 25, 2022

Simple pleasures

This has been the lull before the... not the storm, but the lots-of-visitors month which is about to happen. We walked in the local park,


which is very flowery,

and enjoyed watching the Edinburgh Two making Brio layouts. 

Our washing machine started making a nasty hot-plastic smell, so we decided to get a new one. The Edinburgh Two made warning notices. I think they lack drama in their lives (which is good). 


On Saturday, Mr L and I did the recce for a walk which we're leading in a few weeks on the west side of Edinburgh. We walked over Cramond Brig (Bridge), 

which is quite old, really, but never does seem to fall down, as I always think it might. 

We were making for Queensferry, 

and walked happily along until...

on the way through the woods, I caught my foot on a stone while walking briskly and found myself sailing through the air. Not that good a sensation but better than what came immediately afterwards. After I landed, Mr L - who had wisely equipped himself with antiseptic wipes and plasters - kindly mopped up the blood and stuck me together, and we proceeded on our way. I wasn't walking quite so briskly from then on.  

But we got there: along the shore to Queensferry, 

where the three bridges over the Forth are: the Forth (rail) Bridge, the Forth road bridge and the Queensferry Crossing. 

We rewarded ourselves with coffee after the 6 and a half mile walk. There was a wedding party being  photographed on the beach. The ladies were not wearing shoes suitable for shingle. 

Yesterday, Daughter 1, Son-in-Law 1 and the children went to Vogrie Country Park, where we had a very nice time till it suddenly rained. We were quite far away from the car park at that point. We got very wet, an unusual sensation because it hasn't really rained for months. I'm sure it was good for the gardens. It rained again today and since the Festival is about to start at the beginning of August, I'm sure it'll do it again in the next few weeks, annoying the tourists. Sorry, tourists. 

And at last I finished the second quilt for the bunk beds that we now have in the study to provide extra grandchild accommodation. They're non-identical twins (the quilts, not the grandchildren). 

The grandchildren will never notice, but I quilted all their initials on to one of the quilts. 



 

6 comments:

  1. I'm relieved you didn't do any worse damage in your fall. I recently tripped over flax on a walk, and ended up with stitches in my forehead (don't heads BLEED!!) and a plaster cast on my wrist. It was quite sore for a couple of weeks, but it turned out nothing was broken and I was allowed it off.

    I love the colours of your quilts, and the interesting block designs you close. I might have added the children's dates of birth - for when I got really senile!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Falls are terrifying! I'm glad you weren't seriously injured. Blood is better than breakage. What fun to have guests expected AND to the rain! I would love some right now. Your quilts are beautiful, as always. I find that combo of colors very comforting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that you are coping in the heat! It is all quite scary and of course only likely to get much worse ... too gloomy to contemplate. Much better to look at quilts and flowers - both lovely! Hopefully your injuries have recovered too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you were not seriously injured. Falls, at the very least, are so embarrassing.
    The sign by your grands is lovely. Really enjoyed the part about ask granny or go to www........so cute.
    You have the BUG...quilting bug. The quilts are beautiful and hand quilted!! Oh my, you are doing so well at quilting. I remember when you started and were asking very basic questions. Look how far you've come.
    Lastly, the dates on that bridge got me thinking. I'm in California and one of our sons is living in New Hampshire. He called to say he looked up long deceased relatives, on my husbands side, In a small church yard in Vermont, he found the grave of John McDonald. He was born in Scotland in 1738 and emigrated to the USA in 1770. He must have fought in our Revolutionary War. Dates seem so long ago but my husband is the 7th generation from John McDonald. Times passes too quickly. Patty McDonald

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely, lovely quilting - i'd sleep under either of them and count my blessings!!!

    i've been falling more in the past months than when i was a toddler - ugh! tripping sucks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilts are beautiful! I LOVE that you quilted their initials into the quilt -- little touches like that are why I love quilting. I hope you're better from the fall -- falls are scary. Good luck with your visitors this month -- I wish I were coming back again so soon! XO

    ReplyDelete