Sunday, September 11, 2022

Momentous

So Queen Elizabeth is dead. We sat on Thursday watching the news unfold - actually for hours it was the non-news, though it was fairly obvious that the BBC knew that she was on the point of death. 

And then it was announced that she had died, and a fortuitous rainbow appeared over (I think it is) Windsor Castle. But of course, she died in Scotland - where she was the only Elizabeth, not Elizabeth II, (though the BBC appears to be unaware of this).

The next day we watched the 96-gun salutes all over the country and Commonwealth. This was Belfast. 

And this was Jersey - love the uniforms. So twenty-first century... .

And then today we drove home from Daughter 1's as the crowds assembled for the funeral cortege coming later from Balmoral to Edinburgh for tomorrow's lying in state in St Giles.  

It was interesting seeing the familiar streets not far from us, from the air, 

and the crowds lining the roads and clapping. Lots of people taking photos. I wonder if they were there mainly to show respect for the Queen or mainly to say they were there on this historic occasion - both, I'd think, but which more? 

My school history teacher lived in this house.

And here's Edinburgh's New Town. 

Here's the Old Town, the Royal Mile which runs between the Castle and Holyrood Palace. 

And this is the Palace, with the hearse arriving, the coffin draped tactfully in a Scottish flag. 

I was amazed to find out that Anna in Indiana had been watching it too! 

There's no doubt that the Queen's death has stirred emotion in so many of us, me included. I'm no passionate royalist, but it's impossible (I'd think) not to admire the Queen, thrust into this position and fulfilling her role until two days before her death, when she received Liz Truss smiling and standing up. Amazing. I don't think she was an intellectual, but she was sensible and dutiful. 

And it brings other things to the surface too. At our age, we can remember her when she was quite young. We can remember our parents when they were quite young. And now none of them is here any more. Of course, that's what happens; and that's what will happen to us and to everyone. Normally I don't dwell on it much, but the past few days, with their enormous media coverage, have somewhat thrust thoughts of mortality to the forefront of our minds. 

Poor old King Charles III. If he'd succeeded to the throne, say, 25 years ago, he could have made his mark on history already and be beginning, now, to ease off a bit and allow William to take the strain. Instead, at nearly 74, he has to start the job and do something memorable in his (who knows how many?) years in the job. Who would envy him? 

It's a very strange system and I'm glad to be a commoner. Here's a little garden posy - one of life's simple pleasures.



 

5 comments:

  1. You expressed my feelings about Queen Elizabeth perfectly. She was always supposed to be there; in fact she seemed nearly immortal. Now that she's gone (as well as other people in that generation) it feels like we're next. I'm not ready! It's so interesting to see places I've been on the news. It must seem especially surreal to you who live there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about bringing things to the forefront ... for australians we are having to confront the real idiocy of having a head of state, by inheritance, living on literally the other side of the planet ... it works perfectly well if no-one thinks about it! Love the aerial shots, what a fabulous city (one day I will visit)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only just figured out I cannot leave comments on your posts via my phone. I cannot believe how long it has taken me to get to this point! Anyway, I wanted to let you know I am still here and still reading. News of the Queen's death have left us somewhat bewildered at our rather emotional response. My daughter insists William should be on the throne now, however.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for such interesting screen shots/photos. An exemplary human.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, and I forgot to say, yesterday that I was very disappointed that the procession didn't go down Western Terrace (which seemed like the logical path to me) - as I was hoping to see your home from the air. ;-D We watched the service this morning too -- I was scanning the choir to see, if, by some chance you might be there. It's all very sad. There was a little light-hearted moment here though when the news announcer said "The Queen really loved Scotland" and TheManoftheHouse said back to him "So does my wife for some odd reason." Not that he doesn't like it there, but he doesn't LOVE it like I do ;-D

    ReplyDelete