Thursday, August 03, 2023

Here be dragons

On Saturday, Son, Daughter-in-Law and their two arrive for about a week, and on Sunday, Daughter 2 and her little one arrive for three weeks. In the middle of August, my brother, sister-in-law and nephew and his fiancée will be here for about a week also. This is obviously all very nice, but will be busy, so I've been getting Big Granddaughter's dragon quilt to the stage of being pinned together, ready for hand-quilting, so that the fabrics and sewing machine could be tidied away. I was about to go up town to buy wadding the other day but thought I should just check that the odd bits I had wouldn't be enough to cobble together. And the first photo shows an arrangement of every last bit I had!

So, with saving the planet - not to say our bank account - in mind, I crawled around the floor for some considerable time and sewed it all together. I hope the planet appreciates this. My knees weren't so sure. 

I'd already done the front, but I had the back to make, patching it together the back because surely no one else I know will want dragon fabric. (Obviously it needed a bit of a trim. And an iron.) Apart from dragons, the back mainly features books because she's a total bookworm. 

It's all embarrassingly simple but she's only ten and now it's done. And it was fun to do. 


And then I packed all the fabrics away. Mine are arranged in categories: plain, stripes, spots, checks, animals and birds, flowers and leaves, Christmas, and then whatever doesn't fit any of these descriptions. I did once try arranging them by colour but too many of them had multiple colours. And anyway, I always seem to end up riffling through them all to find just the right thing. I need a bigger cupboard but - no - that way would madness lie. I will never use up all that I have. 


It's been very wet in Britain generally, but the rain cleared yesterday and we went out for a walk along the river. 

It was very full. 

Today the sun shone so I hope that's us back to normal summer weather. Not sure that it is, though... .




 

5 comments:

  1. A lovely quilt. I hope she will be proud of both you and the quilt

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a wonderfully colorful and lively quilt; she will love it! My knees are not so great these days crawling around on the floor playing trains with my oldest grandson. It sounds like you'll be enjoying some great company!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt is so nice she will treasure it for a long time. It sounds like you will have a very busy and fun August with all the family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you will have a lovely time with the various branches of your family. I hope it stays dry for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How satisfying to use up all that batting!!!! I'm very impressed - it's bulky to store too. That quilt is gorgeous, you must both be very pleased.

    ReplyDelete