Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Chillier

 
Today it was COLD! What a shock to the system. In town, people were walking around in their summer clothes - with jerseys (this is Britain) but only thin ones - looking surprised and murmuring to each other, "That's a very chilly wind."
 
My hanging baskets are still quite pretty, as is the rest of the garden, but light levels are falling, the days are shortening and before long it will be autumn. Why does this come as a surprise every year?
 
 
Grandson has a cold and though generally as cheerful as ever, is less stoical than usual when faced with minor disasters such as getting himself stuck on the Velcro on his play tunnel, being squashed into layers of clothes or being kept waiting ten seconds longer than he would like for his lunch. He finds it difficult to sleep, too, since he sucks his thumb when falling asleep and then can't breathe. He has to go suck, suck, gasp, suck, suck, gasp.
 
 
Most of the time he beams, though.
 
 
Look at him reading that book. That's my boy.

10 comments:

  1. Life can be a trifle difficult at times for thumb-suckers! Your hanging baskets are gorgeous. There must be something about the family thumbs, that they can produce such pleasing effects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember little NJ having many colds or other ailments. Hope it soon vanishes. Seeing a wee child holding a book and "reading" is one of life's delights. ( said as a teacher a Mum a reader.)
    Lovely hanging baskets. It is cold here today too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making great colour choices on what he'll wear as well! Very definitely pointing at that red. Discerning and literary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And our definition of cold here in North Carolina was this morning when it was 52F when I left for work. It warmed up to 79F this afternoon, but is still so much cooler than last month's 95F+ weather.

    It's all relative, I guess. The baskets are gorgeous and I am quite envious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your flower baskets are lovely! That cold will soon be gone, and little grandson will be back to his sunny self before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Persiflage is too funny!
    Lovely baskets. It was supposed to be cold out overnight and I dressed for 13C, however, at the moment it is 21C. I do long for a bit of cold.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I'd like to be stuck on velcro! Hope the cold goes soon - preferably not by passing on to the rest of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww, now I want to see the world's cutest grandson again -- this is torture! It sounds like we made our trip just in time, although I do love the cooler weather. Your flowers are gorgeous too! I'm very much regretting that I didn't get pictures of your flowers in your front garden -- it occurred to me the other day that I didn't post the most colorful views of your garden! ;-(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely to see Grandson immersed in his book!

    Your hanging baskets are stunning. I didn`t bother this year after the pergola collapsed and the rain kept on....and on.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hanging baskets are lovely...Fall signs are here in north east Ohio, too. I love the cooler weather though it is warm in the afternoon. Poor grandson. Hope his cold is quickly conquered.

    ReplyDelete