Saturday, May 16, 2020

Lockdown week 8 - Saturday


A walk up town today. From Queen Street, you can look down every side street and see views over the north of the city - with lots of trees - and over the water to Fife.


It must have been really stunning before the New Town was built: all fields, sloping down to the sea. And when the New Town was first built there would have been no cars (obviously, in 1760) and none of the clutter of street furniture and horrible tram wires that spoil the vista here. But it's still nice to look over there, where we can't go at the moment. 


These giraffes have been here since 2005. They're by Helen Denerley and supposedly built out of scrap metal. And are rather fetching.


And nearby are these sculptures by Eduardo Paolozzi - a Scottish Italian: a big hand and a big foot. I like these as well, but had never before noticed the little flight of steps leading on to the hand, inviting (I suppose) children to climb on it.



The chap on the 150 foot high pillar is Henry Dundas, 1st Viscount Melville. He was an MP and a very powerful chap in Scotland but in 1806 was the last person in Britain to be impeached for the misappropriation of public funds. He was acquitted, however, and later had this statue erected in his memory. The sculptor must have been very annoyed, one feels, at the 150 foot high pole. It could be a model of anyone, for all it's seen. I wonder if this was a deliberate ploy to make Dundas less visible because he wasn't actually popular? He opposed the abolition of slavery, supported British domination of India and was known sarcastically as King Henry the Ninth. So, not a wonderful human being, though presumably he had some powerful friends, and he was influential in the building of the New Town. (I've just Googled it and though the column was erected in 1820, the statue wasn't added till 1828, so one assumes the sculptor knew it was destined for up there. One wonders if he bothered with eyelashes and the finer details of the nose.)


This, from slightly later, is David Livingstone, waving in a proprietorial fashion at Princes Street Gardens. Or possibly the Victoria Falls.



And this is the partially-assembled Floral Clock, a feature of the gardens. It's being planted with lots of succulents, saying appropriate things for lockdown.



A chap came and started working on it while I was there. It's a big job - arranging all these tiny plants which are laid out in trays on the path above the clock.


This photo is just to remind future me that I once stood in the middle of this street and lived to tell the tale. It's called The Mound and is just that: a mound of earth containing the spoil from excavating the foundations of the New Town and put there to join the New and Old Towns. Normally it's very busy.


A contrast in architecture: an art gallery built like a Greek temple and some ghastly 1960s town planning. Horrors were perpetrated then: beautiful 19th century buildings torn down and concrete nasties put in their place.


I like the inscription on this chair and the fact that it's been there since I was nearly seven. I wonder who "her friend" was. I wonder if anyone now remembers Catherine Fraser. Or her friend.



A lesser black backed gull wandered past. (Not a herring gull. Thanks, Barrie. I used to know the difference.)

It's impossible not to take a photo of the Castle if you happen to be here.

I've just looked at my stats - which I don't often do - and apparently 275 people  read my previous post (and this is the sort of number recorded every day). It's a bit creepy: 2 people commented, so I vaguely imagine that 2 people read it. Who are the other 273? Doubtless some of them are mistakes. But still.

Is this lockdown continuing? Really? Are we all sure it's the right thing to do? Are we not all going to get this virus in the end anyway?

So many questions... .

16 comments:

  1. We're here, Pam. Just not talkative. Your posts are rather like bedtime stories. We love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I am still here too and love hearing from you,Sophie in Kelvin Grove, Palmerston North NZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took many photos of the castle, and that floral clock which one of our tour members wanted to find. So, a small group of us looked for it, and eventually located it. I don't know what the right thing to do is any more. We need to protect ourselves, but how long is reasonable? I think that we'll be using precautions for quite some time. At least, we older people will. I like to comment; you know how wordy I am! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I'm always here admiring your scenery and being exhausted by your long walks. Not sure about some of your sculptures but I do love Floral Clocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam,apologies for being pedantic (as ever) but your gull is a lesser black backed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hardly ever comment on the blogs I read, I guess I should at least once in a while. I just love all your pictures and posts. I am in the USA homebound with a disabled husband so it's wonderful "to go" on your walks with you! This is indeed a trying time as we are in week 10 of a lockdown. Will anything ever be normal again? I often wonder that too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice to have a tour of Edinburgh. It's strange, but rather refreshing, to see empty streets and so few people and vehicles. I like the giraffe sculptures. It must be quite a shock to come across them for the first time.
    As for viewings of blog posts, I have often wondered who are these folk who visit but do not comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a lurker most of the time. I enjoy your strolls.💖

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having just walked many of the areas you photographed this past January, the only time the streets were almost that empty was around 10 pm on a Sunday night. Has to be quite strange to see places so empty when they are usually thronged with people. Thank you for capturing a moment in time on your walks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm one of those readers who don't leave comments. Aren't we called lurkers? I love your posts. I found you through the Stargazer blog (hi Margaret) and I passed along your blog to a friend who visits Edinburgh frequently. She and her husband stay in your city for 2-3 months at a time every year or so. Faced with our current president, they have seriously considered spending even more time in your beautiful country. Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous6:03 pm

    Re: Lesser Black Backed gulls, they have yellow legs.

    I enjoyed your sculptures and your clock, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dropping in to say I am lurking too. Weirdly, I am missing the city streets, stranded as I am in Borders countryside until lockdown lifts so your photos are rather comforting. If you are wandering along Melville Street in the future, send us a photo of number 33 will you - my husband is missing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Get A Blank ATM CARD And Cash Good Money/Funds Pay Your Debt directly today in any ATM machine around you anywhere in the world. contact cryptoatmhacker@gmail.com.. It's 100% guaranteed secure with no worries of being caught because the blank card it's already programmed and loaded with good funds in it, in such a way that's not traceable which also have a technique that makes it impossible for the CCTV to detect you, i am not a stupid man that i will come out to the public and start saying what someone have not done. For more info contact Mr john and also on how you are going to get your Card, Order yours today via Email: cryptoatmhacker@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

  14. Cool way to have financial freedom!!! Are you tired of living a poor life, here is the opportunity you have been waiting for. Get the new ATM BLANK CARD that can hack any ATM MACHINE and withdraw money from any account. You do not require anybody’s account number before you can use it. Although you and I knows that its illegal,there is no risk using it. It has SPECIAL FEATURES, that makes the machine unable to detect this very card,and its transaction can’t be traced .You can use it anywhere in the world. With this card,you can withdraw nothing less than $4,500 a day. So to get the card,reach the hackers via email address : besthackersworld58@gmail.com or whatsapp him on +1(323)-723-2568

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, are you guys ready to make real cash??? No dulling moment anymore. No more depending on a cheap check every week. Get thousands of dollars or any currency of your choice and make this life worth living for. Order for a blank ATM card now. How does it work? Our cards are loaded with a balance of $5000 to $100,000.00 with different daily withdrawal limits depending on the card you are buying and you can use the blank atm card to shop online and withdraw cash from any ATM machine closer to you.★ Is this real? Yes, as shown in the video we withdrew cash multiple times without any issues. You can do it too.★ Can I be traced? No, your withdrawal/transactions are completely anonymous.★ Can I trust this method? Yes, we have not had any issue when doing this for the past 5 years now.★ Are people using this ATM card? Absolutely, a lot of people {our trusted customers) have quit their jobs to withdraw money on a daily basis. ★ How do I get my card? We will ship your Blank Card /w Pin a few hours after receiving clear payment through a courier service International and give you the tracking details of your card, 2-4 business day delivery service. Once you receive the card you can start cashing out. ★Is this real? YES: we are 100% real and have been doing this since 2015 Contact us to order a working blank ATM Card that you can use to withdraw a minimum amount of $1000 and maximum amount of $10,000 daily withdrawal limit. Online maximum purchase limit is $30,000 Contact via email: mrmichealblankatmcard@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete