Sunday, May 24, 2020

Lockdown week 9 - Sunday


Today was Little Grandson's first birthday. He's unbloggable, so this isn't he, but it's his dad, Son, and there's really quite a close resemblance, so just imagine a little chap much like this. How one loves one's babies. I can remember so well what Son was like: such a jolly, smiley boy, though shy with strangers. He was very much a mummy's boy at that stage. Alas, no more! - though of course it would unsuitable now if he were. But babies are so delicious. We saw Little Grandson and his big sister on Face Time this morning, but it's so sad not to see them properly. Ah well, perhaps before too long.



When we went up to Murrayfield golf course today there were notices to say that golf would start again on the 29th and that walkers and dogs would no longer be allowed. This wasn't unexpected, of course, and naturally the golfers, who pay for the privilege of being there, will want to return. But it's sad for the rest of us, who have been so enjoying wandering around the airy acres. I've been looking forward for several weeks to seeing this rhododendron in full bloom but unless it hurries up, I'm not going to.


There are more and more people there every day - look, you can see this lady and some others in the distance, coming down the slope on the far side of the wall.


For the first time, we walked diagonally over the Ravelston course and came across this large stone.




And this is the very bunker. It must have taken some shifting.


Aren't the trees beautiful in their full, fresh summer foliage? There's actually a road between the front, smaller layer and the back, higher trees.


And then we went back up the hill on to the Murrayfield course. People were sitting around in the sun as if they'd always been here. But this time next week - no one but golfers.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:01 am

    Part of me wants the golfers to continue staying away so that I can continue seeing what you see on your walks; another part of me wants you to be able to continue to walk there whilst staying out of the way of golfers and, yet another part of me wants to see the end of golf courses for all the environmetal damage they inflict on the Earth.
    I will shut up now, please excuse me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gift it's been to walk on the golf courses! I'm a bit in Toffeeapple's corner, although my late husband golfed and loved it. We saw many beautiful courses since I was his caddy. (I tried golf once and hated it, but I loved walking around the course) I enjoy all our green trees around here too. Little Grandson must be a handsome boy if he resembles his dad. Happy Birthday to the little one! You know that I share your pain about my equally unbloggable grandson. At least, there is my google photo album that I can share! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also had a grandson turn one in April. As you say, facetime only does so much. They change so quickly between infancy and toddlerhood.

    Imagine you will be walking on the golf course as much as you can before the 29th. Sorry you will be missing one of your favorite places to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the mother of all rhododendrons!!! Holy cats!!!

    ReplyDelete