Thursday, November 12, 2009

Glasgow

I am so drowning in work that I've hardly had time to visit blogs, but Daughter 2 and I did fit in a bus trip to Glasgow last Saturday to look for curtain material for the flat that she hasn't moved into yet.

I hadn't been to Glasgow for a while and it seems to have burst out into street performing. I don't know whether we happened to hit Busker Day or whether they were all hoping that early Christmas shoppers would be scattering largesse in a generous fashion, but anyway, this chap was juggling flaming torches with what seemed to me reckless abandon.

Then there were these chaps. Not sure what they were supposed to be: Neanderthal Highlanders, perhaps.


They were INCREDIBLY LOUD! How the people in the shops retained their sanity, I can't imagine. I should think you were aware of their drumming in California, Florida, Australia and so on. Did the earth seem to vibrate last Saturday?

Some native Americans. Apparently.


And lots of people selling cuddly toys.

We went to Princes Square

and met up for lunch with Son and his girlfriend, who're working in Glasgow for a year.



In the middle of the ground floor there's this tiled area where little children can run about while their exhausted parents sit round the sides. Such a good idea. My children did this when they were little, oh happy vanished days.




Out again, we rather admired the architecture of Central Station.


Some people were dancing. Don't really know why but they looked as if they were having a good time.


Others were selling balloons and... whatever these streamery things are. Daughter 2 poses beside them.


And for Anna, we have some pipery-drummy-kilty chaps.


In a material shop there were bundles of patches which I fancy may have been the mysterious fat quarters I read about, though they weren't thus labelled. This quilt, it's claimed, could be made in the first term of a quilting class. If only I had any time to myself and lived in Glasgow!

A harassed mother was there with a little girl who was perfectly well-behaved except that she kept wandering off.
I wasn't convinced by the mother's parenting skills. "River," she said at one point (yes, it was really "River". The mother's accent was English, I'd like to point out, not Scottish), "if you don't come here there'll be no sweeties next Friday." (The child was about 2 and this was Saturday. We didn't think that the events of next Friday would really seem to matter to her.)
A while later, the mother said, "Come here or I'll write a letter to Father... Santa... whatever his name is. Christmas'll be cancelled if you don't stay by my side."
We didn't actually buy material but we had a fun day. Daughter 2 will be moving out this weekend.
Hmm.




































































12 comments:

  1. Loved all your crazy Halloween shots! I hope your daughter is not moving too far away from you (is she moving to Glasgow or is the shopping just better there?) and that you got her some nice curtains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful. I love good buskers, the idea of dancing in the streets, but not negligent lazy parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tour! And Teacher? I know why. They were "born to dance!"
    You may call me Sherlock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Teacher! Sounds as though it is all happening in Glasgow. That mother does not have the sense she was born with - which certainly begs the question! Do the curtains have to be sewn or are they ready-made?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what? "River" doesn't actually seem that odd to me as a name for a little girl.

    There is a television series popular with geeky types like me which has a main character called River. Or maybe it's just that people call their children all sorts of odd things these days...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not much into odd names going more with the Elizabeth/Margaret/Anne faction, BUT---I do love "Willow" as a girl's name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wot, no Apu? A friend and I are convinced that Apu (Peruvian pipes......sigh....) follow us all over Europe. Your Neanderthals and Native Americans appear in the middle of Newcastle too.

    River's not so bad - remember that poor child who was named Ikea?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Salutations Teacher!

    "Munch! Munch!"

    That's the sound of "Sherlock" eating Humble Pie.....You were right. The shirt does say Learn to dance, not, as I thought, Born to dance. But here, have a slice of pie anyway.....It is "The Secret Scripture" [singular.] I checked....Ha! Anyway, have a little compassion. I'm struggling here. Day 13 and gasping for air [or inspiration!]

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha -- IS there such a thing as a neanderthal highlander? Thanks for the men in kilts -- you're so thoughtful. Fortunately you have the clicky option, so I could make them full screen and admire in their entirety!

    As for River -- I would have thought her mum would be American, rather than English. That's becoming more popular here. My mother and I cringed last month as one of my cousins was having a new grandson and the leading name was River. The parents changed their minds at the last minute though and named him Cody. Someday we'll have a conversation about the awful names in my family -- I'm like Molly -- much prefer the more traditional!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My 96 year old MIL tells me that we all have to change with the times - she did, so I will have to. She says one doesn't have to like, or agree with the changes, but there is no stopping them. I know that, but I have trouble understanding some of these changes. What is wrong with 'ordinary' names? What's wrong with getting married BEFORE you have children? Call me old fashioned or a nerd, but when I heard from a friend about a boy named 'North', I just shuddered...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Isabelle,

    I completely understand what you mean about being busy with work, family and life in general. At least you are still posting!

    Sounds like your outing to Glasgow was lots of fun.

    Your 'hmmmmm' seems to speak volumes. You must be feeling like it's the 'end of an era' in many ways. I know I'll be feeling pretty maudlin when my kids leave home. Maybe this will be a new beginning for you, though - whatever will you do/make/write next?!

    Hugs,
    Jelly

    ReplyDelete