Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Orange


My brother and sister-in-law came to stay for a few days and we had a little at-home holiday with them. We went to the Victoria Crowe exhibition at the City Art Centre, which we all enjoyed. The quality of light in her paintings is very striking but doesn't come across well in a photo, especially as I usually had to take it from the side to avoid the worst of the glare.


She's very good on trees.


Sunset light on snow. I love this.


Another day we walked round Saughton Park. I don't like orange, even in flowers, but I have to admit that the combination of reddish-orange and white looks good here. (No orange flowers are allowed in my garden, though.)



Beautiful vistas.


And some rather successful wild flower planting.


Then we had a stroll round the grounds of Lauriston Castle. You wouldn't think you were in a city, would you? Here you can see over the water to Fife on the other side.


Lovely lupins, with nary a lupin aphid on them. Unlike mine.


We wandered round the Japanese garden, a gift from Kyoto.


Thank you, Kyoto.


It's much appreciated.


Then today they went away and then the sun came out. See, no orange in my garden.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowers and paintings. I love the trees too, probably because I'm a native Washingtonian. Zillions of trees here! As you know, I'm a huge fan of orange flowers, but I also like purple and pink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like your weather has been beautiful and that you had a good visit. I'm with you on the orange. Well, except that I love orange. Not in the garden though. I just want pinks, reds, whites, blues and purples. Sometimes an orange zinnia sneaks in though -- you never know what you'll get with those seeds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your life is full of beauty. You make it so! I would love to see those paintings in person. And the gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:53 pm

    I agree with you about orange!

    Those Lupins! I tried them once but they were covered in aphids and soon died.

    ReplyDelete