Friday, July 20, 2012

Ducks and non-ducks


I only have mornings free at the moment since afternoons and evenings are spent visiting my mother, so this morning I went to see Daughter 1. I took Grandson in his pushchair to Dr Neil's Garden by Duddingston Loch. We looked at the ducks - some of them were not really ducks but Canada geese or herring gulls, but I felt the ornithological details didn't matter much at the moment. He listened to them going "quack" and "honk" and "screech" and he smiled.


I feel so worried about my mother. On her good days, I feel that I should press to have her home, but on her bad days I'm grateful she's in hospital. Even on her good days, she's very confused but she wants to come home. Oh, the guilt and the uncertainty. What to do? But the hill is very soothing.


And Daughter 2 is still in London and I wish so much that she weren't.  

So things could be better. But for a while, with Grandson climbing on me with his rubbery little legs, beaming at the ducks and non-ducks, going "psssy" at Gus the Garden cat and looking all round with such appreciation and interest at everything - I felt happy.

6 comments:

  1. I am so glad Grandson was able to cheer you for a bit. It must be so difficult to be in that position and to feel the way you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have my sympathy, it sounds like such a difficult situation - no right answer and no clear path. You can see the future boy in Grandson in that photo! Definitely moving on from the baby stage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many conflicting emotions, but what a blessing Grandson is there with his reminders of the important things - like ducks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is such a lovely little boy, and very good at cheering you up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that you can snatch little moments of pure pleasure - troubling times for you I know, but having your Grandson gives you reason to smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what would we do, dear friend, if not for those fleeting moments of Grace?

    ReplyDelete