Thursday, July 26, 2012

Friends


Today I went out for lunch with five friends and we walked along the River Tyne in Haddington. It was a lovely day though at the point that I took these photos, the sun had temporarily gone behind a cloud. We started teaching together in 1973 and in those days we used to talk about our chaps - most of whom are now our husbands. As years passed, the chat tended to be about our children. Recently it's been about retirement and our various aches and pains, growing deafness and - more happily - our grandchildren. Today, however, one of my friends shared her huge worry about her daughter, who has breast cancer which isn't responding to chemotherapy.


And of course we couldn't make it better at all except by listening and sympathising and hugging and hoping.

And I thought too about bloggy friends and your kind thoughts about my mum. Her illness of course isn't anything like as tragic as that of my friend's daughter, who's 35 and who has a toddler and a baby. But still, it's sad and though to non-blogging people the sympathy of sort-of-strangers would seem odd, we all know that it actually helps.

It's funny, isn't it, the sort of virtual Venn diagram of bloggy friends? Occasionally you click on a comment on one of one of the blogs you read and have a look at the commenter's blog and lo! - she's being read by some of the people you know and you never knew about this. And it feels a tiny bit as if they've been having a party to which they never invited you! It would be so good to have all your bloggy friends round for coffee - they wouldn't actually all "know" each other but really quite a lot of them would. If only... .

My place, tomorrow at 10.30, anyone? I'll make scones.

18 comments:

  1. that is not much time for some of us.... but I am checking the flights.

    it is true - sometimes a blogger will just stop blogging. no reason given. and it can feel as if you have lost a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes please. I'd much rather be there than attempting the next instalment of the next instalment of my father's new computer. Mine's black tea with no sugar...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only... Maybe one of these days, at your place, or at mine. Or both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll come, love me some scones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some delicious oaty biscuits baked, I am on my way! I found some very interesting blogs through reading, and enjoying, yours! Isabelle, have you ever thought of having an email address attached to your blog? Just a thought....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, Scones! But, tomorrow is a little difficult. Maybe another day. Very, Very Soon???? ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cyberspace is a good place.....it's not only populated by strange folks, but by warm caring people. I treasure my cyber friendships as well as my real-time friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely thought, but too far, I'm afraid. However, at 10.30am, when I am having my mid-morning coffee (without scone!), I will be thinking of you, and your mum, and all the other lovely bloggers out there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Desiree9:22 am

    I wish I could be there. I'll think of you though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear, I can't make it in 9 minutes! Can we do it another day, it sounds great - or perhaps you could come this way next time grandson visits Nanny in Worcester.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whenever you are having a virtual tea party I'll be there in spirit! Thank you for your generous invitation. I know what you mean about the strange sort of web of like minded people one discovers through the www.Or at least I think I do. And it comes to mean a lot to us all in a strange way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 10:30 your time or my time?

    i love you, Isabelle...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm here, but it is US EDT. Which would be what? 3:30pm for you? OH and please a scone with clotted cream! One of my favorite memories was sitting in Harrod's and having scones with clotted cream.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always stop by your place in the morning, read the updates on your Mom and admire your Grandson.
    I'm a retired teacher too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have missed the party, but would have loved it!!
    I haven't been reading you long, and don't have a blog myself, but have found some very interesting people through following links to the blogs other bloggers read. It started with reading my daughter in law's blog about 2 years ago ( when she finally told me she did one!) and I know what you mean about virtual friends. I am in email contact now with several people ( pen friends?) and it makes my day catching up on my internet pals. I was drawn to yours ( no idea whose blog led me to you) because my Mum was in a bad way too. She passed away last Saturday, and to be honest it was a great relief. She was 98!, and it had been a very stressful last 6 months. I nearly posted a comment a few weeks ago to try and give some "sympathy", but I don't think I did in the end. Like you, I have a grandchild who is a total delight.....the next generation coming along.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That 'not invited to the party' feeling is just right.....and blogging friends are so very supportive.....and lovely....and if you make scones can you make mine cheese ones?????

    ReplyDelete