Monday, November 03, 2014

The Kelpies


Another hike with the walking group and (hurray) Daughter 2, who was home for a long weekend. This time we walked along the canal at Falkirk.


We came to the Falkirk Wheel, which is a very cunning device for allowing boats to pass from the higher to the lower part of the canal. But that wasn't our destination today -


though there was a small model there.


Further along the canal we went.


Look - a distant sight of our objective.


I'm not sure what these berries are but they're such a cheerful colour.


Nearly there...


... at the Kelpies, a recently installed art work. They represent mythical water horses possessed of the strength of 100 horses - but also celebrate the work horses which pulled the wagons and ploughs, barges and coalships so important to the area.

http://www.thehelix.co.uk/things-to-do/the-kelpies/



They're the largest equine statues in the world and are really impressive. As you walk round them, looking at them from different angles, they almost appear to move.


I love the way they seem to toss their heads in the Scottish wind - wild...  

... and yet friendly.

Nine miles there and back and I think my feet will recover in a few days. A lovely, lovely day.

10 comments:

  1. What beautiful statues and they awaken in me a dim and elusive memory of a book I had as a child. I don't suppose you know what it might have been?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alas, no. I always thought kelpies were little elf-type things, as they were on Brownie badges. However, it seems that kelpies could also take various shapes, including human, so that excuses the Brownie thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are magnificant!!!! Nine miles, too far for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I've seen these on blogs -- they look so cool. You must remind me next time I come to Scotland -- I REALLY want to go see the Kelpies!!! And the botanics. And ... I need to move there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't these wonderful!!! Did you take the tour so you could get inside? I also really want to see them lit up. Guess I'll be making a return trip soon... we could go together, but I'm not sure about walking so far!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:18 pm

    I think that I should be seriously unmanned if I were anywhere near them, horses petrify me!

    You did well to walk that far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You walked nine miles?? OMG I'm the same age as you and can barely walk 9 metres without wanting to sit down! Lovely photos, I've heard of those Kelpies, but this is the first time I've seen photos. Thanks for the tour! (I've just posted a little tour of my own on my blog about our day here in lovely Victoria)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing sculptures! What a walking distance you all went! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful posts these all are! I think the Scottish Tourist Board should be sponsoring you! I will plan to see these horses.

    ReplyDelete