Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Raisiny

Look, Grandson can play with a toy now. What a talented boy. And what a joy he is in our lives that are a bit iffy at the moment. My mother is home from hospital with us, but is requiring a lot of care. She's getting better, but slowly, from what the GP described as "a massive operation" to remove the bit of bowel that had the tumour on it. Mum is 89 and a half so it's no wonder that she's not leaping about, but I don't like to leave her alone in the house so this has pinned me down more than somewhat. Also, Mr Life has been very fed up at work - far too much to do in far too little time - so has decided to retire a few months early, immediately after the turn of the year - which will be interesting. I'm not sure how he'll take to being tied to the house.


Anyway, who wouldn't be cheered up to have this smile flashed upon them?

Son came down on Sunday and rebonded with his nephew.

Mum got up and bathed in his smiles.

Son used Grandson to improve his upper body strength.


But as if life (aside from the baby) wasn't tedious enough, there's a chap who's just won the Times crossword championship by doing three of its cryptic crosswords in 24 minutes. Mr Life and I enjoy a cryptic crossword but it takes the pair of us working as a team about as long as that to finish one such puzzle, and that's on a good day when we do manage to complete one. This chap had difficulty with only one clue: "Often pouring cups one's filled with dried fruit". The answer is "raisiny" and I'm frustrated because even knowing the answer, I still can't explain the clue!


Leaving aside the question of whether "raisiny" can really claim to be much of a word (hmm) - I can see that "often pouring" is "rainy" or maybe just "rain", and "one" is "i" and so "one's" could be "is" - but what do "cups" have to do with it? I'm sure it's obvious to someone out there, so could you explain it to me, please?


Edited to add: Thank you Freya! As she points out, "cups" means "holds" so it just means that "rainy" and "is" are held together to mean "raisiny". I still feel thick but at least I no longer feel frustrated.



In my defence, I've got a streaming cold together with sore eyes, throat, bones etc so what with being up during the night to accompany Mum to the loo, my brain isn't perhaps in top gear. But still. Grrr.


















18 comments:

  1. he is truly the sweetest, handsomest, sunniest little baby boy in the World ... and being bathed in NinJa's smiles is the best therapy EVER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "in one's cups" - drunk! Does that help?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it might be, Veg Artist, but I'm not sure how. Unless - quite possible - I'm missing something. Well, obviously I'm missing something or I would be able to understand the clue....

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Cups" in the sense of "holds"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah yes! Thanks so much, Freya! Funnily enough I'd thought of that meaning of cups but didn't see how it fitted in till you told me. It's obvious now!!!

    What a relief. I can stop thinking about it now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a pig of a clue. It takes Tom and me days sometimes to finish a Radio Times cryptic, all I can say is we don't give up once we've started, though very occasionally we do resort to The Answer Bank for the last one or two.

    Wishing your mum a good recovery. Gs is lovely as ever, your daughter has always looked such a relaxed and natural mum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No attempt at even trying to understand that clue here. Except to say that I'm with you -- not sure raisiny is even a proper word.

    But, it's totally unimportant when there's an adorable picture of three of your four generations lined up there. Grandson is growing SO quickly -- what an adorable baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cutest baby award! Hope you'll feel better soon, Isabelle. I wouldn't have guessed the meaning of cups either, and I {thankfully} have zero excuses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm firmly in the "Raisiny: not a real word" camp.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your granson gets cuter and cuter every day! Do get better so we can see more pictures of him visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Times cryptic clues have become downright strange lately .... though it could simply be that my grey matter is disappearing even faster than I thought .
    Grandson's smile must be a terrible distraction , though . I can't see how you can ever get ANYTHING done !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a handsome, smiley boy! And your daughter looks so serene, like an old master's painting of a madonna.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a tonic that smile must provide for you all.
    Best wishes for recovery all round.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Grandson is just so lovely and smiley. I want to give him a cuddle. No wonder everyone is besotted.
    Hope your Mum recovers well, and also, hope Mr Life likes the retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely photos, again. It is good to hear your mother is recovering, but healing can be a slow process, and I hope she is not too sore.
    As for cryptic crosswords, my brain simply does not think that way. I gather you can learn to think that way, but my brain bounces straight off and onto something it deems to be more meaningful (and interesting).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a gorgeous little boy! Glad your Mum is home - I bet the baby is a good tonic for her... Yes I would have struggled with the "cups" bit of the clue - it is such a relief when you "get" it tho isn't it and you can put it to bed!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was able to justify the clue from knowing the answer (I was excitedly doing it as I read your post and about to say I know! I know! at you but I see between Freya and yourself I am far too late) but I'm not sure I would have worked it out from just the clue.

    Hope your Mum continues to mend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 2 crytpic crossword doers here Isabelle. R does the one in the newspaper daily and weekly in the Listener. I only am the BACK UP WHEN HE GETS STUCK.
    We both agreed a bit of a poor clue ( and word ).
    I hope your dear Mum improves. Please look after your own health...you are needed by many.
    Hugs Ali.

    ReplyDelete