Friday, March 09, 2012

Archives and other detritus

The other day, when Mr Life excavated the attic to find our children's old rattles, we decided that we should remove all the other stuff that we were vaguely aware was there, in order to investigate it and probably throw most of it away. So now it's all in Son's bedroom. I've got to the stage of opening plastic bags and going "Umm..." and also taking some of it out and going "Well...".
.
It's all stuff that had some sort of sentimental or historical(ish) importance. The trouble is that keeping things for thirty years makes it even harder to throw it out. It now seems more historical than before. In the bottom of the cardboard box above, you see the lowest archaeological layer of random archives: letters, diaries, the pamphlet for the hospital where I had the children with its useful information for expectant mothers... .
This is now in the throw-out pile - it's my record of teaching and observation from when I was a student teacher.
Here is a pile of my school reports. Can't explain why the photo is sideways. When I was six years eight months I got Very Good in most subjects but was "slow in completing her sum cards in her anxiety to produce very tidy work". No. I was slow in completing my sum cards because I was bored out of my mind with them.
Why did I keep three - THREE! - ten shilling notes? They haven't been legal tender since ??? 1971 or something but were worth quite a lot then. You could buy lots of books for thirty shillings.
The first Valentine that Mr Life sent me. 1968.
And one I drew for him, somewhat later.
.
And I have about a dozen - maybe more - old newspapers from various points in my life, all rather yellowing and foosty.
.
I should just throw it all out without looking at it any further. But... .

8 comments:

  1. When you move house several times in the space of a few years you soon stop holding on to a lot of that stuff! But one of the joys of digital cameras is that you can photograph it all and then you're free to be more selective about when to keep the actual thing and when a photo of it will be enough. Says the lady with the small apartment and lots and lots of photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isabelle! You're an artist! Look at that beautiful Valentine!!!

    The beautiful Valentine makes up for the fact that you've mentioned an attic full of "stuff" which has reminded me that ours is stuffed with stuff that needs to be excavated. {Sigh.}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had an attic, I have lots of STUFF to put in the one I haven't got.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a great clearout when we moved here, but I still keep finding old treasures that could probably go now. No valentines, sadly. Plenty of stuff is accumulating to replace what I chucked, but I do now have a ritual end of December/ beginning of January clearout to show willing. We won't mention the 'rubbish'/ essentials that husband has lurking in his two desks - do we really need organ recital programmes from 2009?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've always moved a lot, husband was in the military, so throwing out and not hoarding became a way of life. But oh how i wish I had some of that stuff back. Don't throw anything away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No - look at everything first! I am an emotional sap, and it would be horrifying to throw away boxes without looking first, in case there's something really sentimental in there...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You don't throw anything out if you have a question about it - or so is my Mother's theory. She has told me it will be my responsibility (as the only daughter) to go thru everything upon her death/sale of house. My brothers are not to be allowed near anything personal to her (acually my SIL's are not to be allowed.) You see there is always this argument "I might need that some day."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isabelle I enjoyed reading about your experiences with detritus in the attic. I do wish I could have had your notebook from when you were a student teacher, but I guess it is too late now.

    I have a major problem with throwing things out and I am nowhere near as tidy as you. Just telling a friend about my week with Cassie and Sirius and enjoying the memories of your garden last spring!

    ReplyDelete