Thursday, March 29, 2012

Easter items

Though it feels like summer in this unusually warm March, it's not, so today I got out the Easter decorations. I've had most of the things on this table for well over 20 years, though I got the "tree" only a few years ago. Previously I used an actual twig, but it's difficult to find a suitable one in our garden. Cutting off bits of neighbours' trees tends to be frowned upon.
Daughter 1 bought me these eggs.
And these.
Actually, these too, now I come to think about it.
This wooden egg string is more recent. It clacks satisfactorily against the glass door.
I treated myself to these glass eggs only last year. Or possibly the one before. How the years rush by... .
And I rather like this recentish acquisition, a fat glass chicken.
.
I like hanging things seasonally around the house but feel slightly guilty about it. I was born in 1950 and all the excess that we have today - the spoilt-for-choice prettiness for sale cheaply in so many shops and supermarkets - simply didn't exist. We lived in a mildly threadbare way and thought nothing of it. I don't mean that we were poor - not my particular family. But we were frugal; most people were. We bought necessities on the whole, with a few treats for special occasions. New clothes were kept for "best" and when they were no longer smart, they were worn on Saturdays, for playing, even if they were by then a bit small.
.
I'm suffering from Grandson deprivation - haven't seen him since his return to Edinburgh on Tuesday. However, that will be rectified tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Those are all lovely. I have but one small tiny( heirloom ? ) egg.
    Could we see an up close of the lovely cloth on your table - it looks interesting. Did you make it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, alas, no, I didn't make it. I think my granny did, though. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a frugal fifties childhood too - in our case we were quite poorly off until I was about 10. The joy of getting a couple of chocolate Easter eggs cannot be described, even the packaging was treasured. Love all the eggs and especially the glass chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Isabelle, you took me back in time with those comments. Being born in 1948, we lived just as you described - certainly not in poverty, but frugally. No carpet on the floors until the 1960's, no telephone until the late 50's, a real Xmas tree with hand made decorations, one or two Easter eggs at the most (and NOT huge ones). I saved the silver paper in a book for years, but lost it somewhere along the line when leaving home.
    Hope you are going to keep that beautiful cloth. If you want to get rid of it, there will be loving home for it Down Under. Which reminds me, would you like a tartan tea cosy? I've just made one for a charity event, and thought of you while I was doing it! Or do you think tartan would look a bit tacky for a tea cosy?
    I'll be posting a pic of it on my stitching blog in the next day or so.

    ReplyDelete