Saturday, March 24, 2012

Saturday photos

Mr Life and the cats spent some quality sofa time this afternoon. Well, and every afternoon.
Now, this is a family heirloom that I will keep. (Sorry that it's sideways.) It's such a good size for an heirloom, don't you think? Like most of our family heirlooms, it's probably worth about 50 pence, but it used to belong to my granny and I'm fond of it. I've never really looked properly at it before but it looks as if the little lady (whose skirts form a bell with a clapper inside) is dressed in Breton costume - can't think why, since my grandparents never got to France on holiday. And on the back, much worn by polishing, there seems to be the word DEPONE. Very mysterious.
And today, Saturday 24 March, is Mother's Day in my house. Yes, it was also Mother's Day last Sunday, but Son got the week wrong and sent these lovely hyacinths today (and roses to my mother). Which is lovely, since last week's Mother's Day flowers won't last much longer. Thank you, Son!

7 comments:

  1. I like your little mystery figure. sometimes it is the most worthless pieces that tug at our hearts.
    and your flower arrangement is lovely. I love the smell the hyacinths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Life and the cats know how to relax! Your little bell girl is sweet, and those hyacinths are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These two females did afterwards depone that Mr. Willet in his consternation uttered but one word, and called that up the stairs in a stentorian voice, six distinct times.
    -- Charles Dickens, Barnaby Rudge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well yes, quite. So why is it on my little lady bell? Is there a place called Depone in Brittany? Is it an order - Depone! (Surely it would be Deponez! to a random stranger who picked it up. Maybe I'm reading it wrongly - it's rather unclear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a very relaxing Saturday afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The town of Epone is just down the road from where I live, but in that case it would have been written "d'Epone" so we are none the wiser, are we? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh well, there could be an apostrophe hidden there in the rubbed brass. Could it mean From Epone? It's all in capitals.

    ReplyDelete