Monday, September 14, 2020

Getting around in a lockdownish way

Yesterday we climbed up a bit of a Pentland hill to Swanston. It was a sunny day but very windy. 

It must be peaceful to live up here, apart from people taking your cottage's photo. 


There are two golf courses, though it must have been quite difficult to play accurate golf in the stiff wind.  


 And there's the city, suddenly stopping at the main road. It feels a long way away. On the horizon are Arthur's Seat and the sea. 

Since lockdown, we never seem to have any change to give to the grandchildren as pocket money, so today we walked along to the bank to get some. There was a queue of about ten people waiting outside, most of them fairly elderly, and it took about forty minutes before we reached the door. Not ideal, especially if it had been cold. However, the chap gave Mr L £50 in pound coins, which will last us for a while.

Then we walked home and Mr L washed the coins, to be on the safe side. This is presumably the nearest he'll come to walking into a bank wearing a mask and demanding money which he later launders. 

I'm having quite fun quilting my very bright quilt. 



Today, somewhat on an impulse, I decided to go to visit Daughter 2 and Littlest Granddaughter at the weekend. It involves taking a bus, a train, a tube and another bus, but on the other hand I have a nasty feeling that if I don't go soon, the opportunity to do so may not arise for a while. Mr L decided to stay at home. He's not the mad, reckless fool that I am. Also, Daughter 2's flat is quite small. I sleep on a sofa but he's a bit larger and needs a mattress on the sitting room floor, which is all a bit more of a faff. 

Her Edinburgh flat, by the way, is not selling. It's been on the market for, I think, six weeks now and has had two viewers, both in the first week. Sigh. There are just too many similar flats on the market at the moment and evidently mortgages for first-time buyers are hard to get. Still, we only need one buyer, and maybe Mr L will be showing him/her around this weekend. You never know. 

6 comments:

  1. The city does look far away, and I'm envious of your walk. And the sky. We are mired in a low lying "fog" of hazardous smoke. It's put the kibosh to most of my favorite activities. Have a wonderful weekend with Daughter 2 and Littlest Granddaughter. We have to grab those moments when we can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your Edinburgh trip. I'm sorry her flat hasn't been snapped up. Over here the market is crazy hot. Lots of returning New Zealanders with cash in their pockets, interest rates at historically low levels (2.5%!!) and people who realised that working from home in lockdown would work better with a larger/more accessible house. Unfortunately poor first home buyers are getting further and further from the bottom rung on the ladder, and there's no end in sight.

    I love what you're adding to that bright fabric, your quilting is spot on. I'm still making masks - I'm on my third pattern, and I think I'm happy with this one. Among other improvements it uses cotton knit for the ties, and that is much more comfortable than the elastics I was previously using.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Money laundering eh. Cash is almost non existent here too.
    Enjoy your journey and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the quilting on your quilt! It is going to look fantastic when it's all done. Isn't it funny about cash? I have $120 in cash from friends who used the beach house and it's still just sitting in my wallet, no-one wants to take it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you a delightful visit with DD2 and Littlest. And I hope someone will buy their flat! I really like the quilting you are doing on your African fabrics quilt. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so funny. I'm now having visions of Mr. L as a bank robber. I'm loving the quilting on your bright quilt -- it's looking fantastic and definitely a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete