Friday, May 25, 2012

A night out

My computer is being glacially slow tonight. I don't know whether it's the computer or Google, but things are taking ages to load (do I mean load?) and though pictures claimed to be loading, they never did. So I've given up.

I've just come back from seeing my friend D in the chorus of a production of "Carmen". The chorus are amateurs but the principals are all wonderful young professionals who take part for no fee, just the exposure. It was very well done but it's possible that some of the chorus were slightly elderly for their parts. Soldiers doddered around, hopefully ogling the 22-year-old Carmen with their ancient rheumy eyes, and holding back with their spindly arms the crowd of (in some cases) rather solid lady pensioners in the part of cigarette girls who smiled seductively with a few more wrinkles than Bizet may have envisaged.

Well, I might be exaggerating a bit and it sounded great. They all gave it ladly, as we say in Scotland: threw themselves into it. D, who's slightly older than me but slim and doesn't allow herself to have grey hair, looked impressive. She has a striking face and could easily be Spanish.

I shall probably be singing "Toreador" around the house for some days. Lucky Mr Life.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun night.....had to chuckle when reading about the elderly members of the chorus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:59 am

    You conjure up such fun images, it seems that you enjoyed yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me laugh out loud and get accusing looks from husband who was listening to some particularly boring organ music - so I was unrepentant! It was the elderly soldiers that did it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. enjoyed this, Isabelle! Have been missing your writing.

    ReplyDelete