Sunday, March 17, 2013

Babies


What did we do today? Well, we went to church and then Daughter 1 and the grandchildren (still can't quite used to saying that, in the plural!) came back to us for lunch.


In answer to various questions, no alas I didn't knit any of the items you've been admiring. I'm not much of a knitter. The little pink hat worn by Granddaughter at birth was provided by the hospital and knitted by one of the auxiliary nurses. The blanket she's wrapped in here was knitted by various of Daughter 1's Ravelry friends. The cardigan in this picture was created by the other, more talented, grandmother. Daughter 1's shawl was made by Daughter 1 herself.


I'm sure I must have some latent talents but I can't think what they might be.


Mr Life had a nice snooze under the patchwork quilt made by (no, again not by me) Thimbleanna and then read some books with Grandson.


How that boy loves his vehicles.

Grandson is such good fun. I had forgotten what a sense of humour small children can have. He makes jokes - not by verbal dexterity but by deliberately doing things to make us laugh. And you can sense the wheels in his amazing little head whirring away as he finds out new things about the world. By contrast, Granddaughter is at that stage of looking to and fro between half-closed  eyes, just beginning to put two and two together - or not even that, just slowly assembling tiny bits of information and puzzling away at them.

It won't take her long, though, to get used to being here. The new baby stage is so fleeting. That soft skin! the wrinkly knees! the wobbly head!

10 comments:

  1. What a precious family! I'd say you are quite good with a camera and writing a blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pictures. I bet you feel your world is now complete!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah that new baby smell! and the fabulous feel of holding a baby in your arms. Grandson is looking quite grown up now in comparison...does he love his little sister in that 'well she's ok I suppose' way?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Latency has certain virtues and much potential for future discovery. All that knitting is very impressive, so say I, a non-knitter par excellence. Appreciative admiration by non-knitters never goes astray.
    Your family looks very happy and relaxed. Are they all getting enough sleep?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Isabelle, you have so many talents, we can't even name them all. Just the top three that quickly come to mind are your fabulous green thumb, you can put together a spread for guests with seemingly no effort, and you can sing! I'll never forget early morning at your home and you were humming. I made me realize that I don't hum enough. I was happily humming along this weekend and it made me think of you! (And I'm so sorry to hear about Sirius -- I hope the diuretics are helping him to feel better.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Words must be more than a latent talent? And wry wit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Get away with you, definitely a way with words!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The new little L is so darling. I love the photo where she is yawning, but perhaps even more where her mother is looking at her. And the shawl is such an interesting color. And grandson wonderful. I'm all alone here in Florida at the moment, but very soon, on Friday, two daughters, one sil, and four grand children will arrive. I can barely wait!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the info about the knitting! I was already wondering about the gorgeous shawl before I reached the end of the post.

    Many talents - patience, kindness, photography with matching captions to name but a few.

    Do many people comment on family likeness between Mr Life and Grandson? I thought definitely there. In our family, likenesses to grandparents strangely more obvious than those to actual parents!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have such a lovely family!

    ReplyDelete