Monday, March 17, 2014

Trying to be philosophical


We've been down in London visiting Daughter 2 in her new flat. It's very nice and of course we're glad to see her and her husband settled somewhere that they like, but now that they've bought property there, it reminds us that she's down south for good. We knew this anyway but we don't like facing up to it.

All of our children have painted their living room walls a light green. Could there be something genetic in this? Maybe I could get a PhD out of it.

Daughter 1 and the children came to tea today. Grandson - though told not to - dropped from his booster seat at table a napkin ring that used to belong to my grandparents. It's made of some early plastic and is of no value except sentimentally. I then, forgetting that it was on the floor, stupidly stepped on it.

Me: Oh, it's broken!
Grandson [philosophically]: These things happen.

And now I must do some piano practice. My lesson's tomorrow and because we didn't get back till today, I've not touched the piano since last Tuesday.

9 comments:

  1. I hope you can still see your daughter often. But it is not the same....My younger daughter is eight hours drive away and it is too far to do often. Airfare is not that bad for me, but way too much for my older daughter and her family to do much....I am lucky that two of my children and half of my grandchildren are very nearby. We just have to do the best we can.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, these things happen. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder where he heard that!! It's so funny when they latch on to grown up's sayings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well,(regarding your piano practice) these things happen. Haha. Small Grandson is keeping you on your toes. DD2's flat looks lovely -- maybe they could just move it to Edinburgh. Some sort of teletransporting or something. ;-8

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isabelle! It's me. All is well. Good to be philosophical, beats the alternative. Reminds me of Kahil Gibran --- "they come through us but not from us."
    And "whether or not it is clear to us, the universe is unfolding as it should." Love from Molly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, did they speed round tidying before the photograph or is it always so nice and tidy? Looks despairingly at her own sitting room....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love hearing adult phrases from very young mouths. It really brings home what little sponges kids are, and how much they take from us. (And reminds you to watch what you say!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Daughter 2 is indeed a tidy person. No special tidying took place except asking her dad to remove his feet from the footstool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a tidy person when my parents come to stay. Saying that though, the cushions are both the wrong way up and you can clearly see plastic bags to the right of the sofa (containing curtains which need to be returned). We also managed to make the place parent worthy by sticking anything messy in the garage...

    ReplyDelete