Thursday, March 03, 2011

Doctor, doctor, there's a cat on the sofa

By the way, Meggie - in answer to your question - these are Moomins. They're sort of ... um... creatures - in a series of books. I can't really remember much about them but Daughter 1 used to be fond of them.


And here's our son, home for a brief visit, looking at Cassie Cat, who is declining to show any interest. He went for a cycle ride this afternoon, hence the shorts. It's not really shorts weather, in my opinion. Note the phone in his hand, as befits a young person, particularly one parted temporarily from his lady friend.
Then Cassie woke up and posed.


Here's the lad again. He was working last weekend and so got this week off. It's lovely to have him back for a while. He's been listening sympathetically to my mother's various symptoms. She gets many of her medical facts ("facts") from her daily newspaper or from the health page of the magazine that her cleaning lady brings round, and is usually reluctant to believe that the lad, who's been working as a doctor for three years now, might have slightly more accurate medical knowledge than The Woman's Weekly. He bears this stoically.



Sirius enjoying the heat from the radiator.
Gossypia, I've left a message for you in the comment box of my previous blog post.




11 comments:

  1. I think your mother must read the same paper as mine. It is the Fount of All Knowledge. Give me strength. How lovely to have your boy home for a few days! Even if he comes attached to his phone. I know this malady well. It seems all mine have it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And even though we're oceans apart I'm fairly certain my father-in-law consults the same publication. He claims all doctors are merely "practicing" medicine. He is immensely better informed on medical matters than any of us or any of the doctors he sees regularly! Though I do not remember doing so, I must have sinned mightily in my youth....Lovely to have your boy drop in....sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woman's Weekly is the source of all knowledge, end of story. I would bow to its legal knowledge and what's more, it will also give you a recipe for tea loaf and a knitting pattern for a tea cosy. What more could you want? (I am also comforted that your mother's cleaning lady reads the Woman's Weekly. So reassuringly traditional!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moomins are outstandingly wonderful: http://tastingrhubarb.blogspot.com/2010/12/comet-in-moominland.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your story about Women's Weekly made me laugh. We have the same experience with our parents. Do you suppose it's because when you get to that age, the doctors are all younger and how could they possibly know what is needed to cure what ails you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. C'mon, you owe it to your mother to get her onto the Net – there are countless fantastic symptoms there that she's cruelly being deprived of.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hallo Isabelle! I have emailed thimbleanna as you suggested.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm jealous - don't see my son often enough. Mind you, when he does come, he's the opposite to yours, and always wears jumpers, however hot it is. Even on a trip to Uganda he wore his jumpers. (Could be because I dressed him in cling film as a baby, thinking about it ....)

    ReplyDelete
  9. First: I hate, hate, hate media directed at frightening elderly people about their health.

    Second: Your son is cute!

    8-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thankyou for showing me the Moomins. I now realise I must be one of them, as I am shaped somewhat similarly!
    A son is always a tonic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:59 am

    Well written blog. Must be bookmarked:)
    Feel free to surf my website :: canapé cuir

    ReplyDelete