Sunday, March 06, 2011

Trams

On Thursday, Son came to the college at lunchtime and we went to a nearby shopping centre for lunch. Afterwards, we wandered round a bit and inspected this display about Edinburgh's projected tram system. "Coming soon" - hah!

This is a major source of mockery and grief in the city since some bright spark decided a few years ago that we should bring trams back. No one I've ever met wants them; it's cost umpty-tum millions; the streets have been hugely dug-up; the companies doing it have run out of money/gone into dispute/whatever and the whole thing has ground to a halt. We have a few tram rails but no trams.




We hadn't heard about the chap above, but evidently he's been excavated in the course of the works. Son inspected him in a doctorly way (too late for emergency procedures, I fear). A passerby peered over Son's shoulder. "Aye," he pronounced gloomily. "Poor man was probably waiting for a tram."

12 comments:

  1. Funny!

    I love trams, they are one of the attractions of the city I live in (Melbourne). Twenty years since I moved here and I still think they're fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It'll all be worth it in the end..... Let's hope we live long enough.

    On an Amsterdam train that was so packed there was no way we could get to the ticket machine on board, I expressed anxiety to a girl next to me about not paying my fare. She replied that hardly anyone paid their fares, so not to worry.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! So I'll have to concede that Ireland does not have the market cornered on wags!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Change is hard, but you may love them when all is completed. Let's hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally, I can't wait. As a resident of Liberton, I have always wanted to be able to travel non-stop by tram from the Royal Bank HQ at Gogar to the Scottish Executive HQ at Victoria Quay. My life will be transformed, I tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now, now, Loth. Sarcasm is the lowest form of.. etc.

    But yes. If I wanted to do that - and I don't - I could get a bus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you get a say in if you wanted a tram or not? these things just seem to occur don't they.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not only did the tram never arrive but the poor chap had leprosy too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha -- still no trams? Hopefully the work will be back on track soon (harhar).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well that fella looks like he's all finding it most amusing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. a snarky scotsman - quite a rarity in downtown Edinburgh, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your comment over at the Coffe Lady gave me a belly laugh (a welcome one at that) so I hopped over here to say hello. Hello.

    We were supposed to have a guided busway - it was supposed to have been up and running two years ago. There's nowt on the busway but tumbleweeds, a robin and a dandelion. It is a Local Embarrassment.

    ReplyDelete