Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Technology

I'm a bit squeamish and don't like seeing the picture of that poor dead chap - or possibly lady - so though I don't think I have anything particular to say, I'm replacing him/her with a photo of my darling Daughter 2. The only other picture in this folder in Picasa is one of our 2010 Christmas cake. I think she may be about to cut this, hence the raised hand and somewhat "Aha!" expression on her face.

She's coming up to Edinburgh again at the weekend to search out a wedding dress. This time we're trying dressmakers. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

I've just been watching some of her actor fiancé's friends on a tv improvisation programme. I imagine that some of them will be coming to the wedding, which I find rather alarming. They're all very witty and smart and poor Mr Life's going to have to make a speech in front of them.

I felt very unsmart this morning when I was standing at the bus stop, replying to a text from Daughter 2. (This is my new phone - I decided that I needed one with a camera in preparation for being a granny in July. All my granny friends show people phone photos of their grandoffspring. I mentioned one Friday evening to Mr Life that I was thinking in terms of a cameraphone, and the next morning at 9 we were in a phone shop. Mr Life likes gadgets.

I can't really claim to have mastered this device. I can manage texts (though don't know how to delete them) and can phone people, though haven't yet got used to the doorbell-like burble that it gives when people are phoning me. Indeed, I tend to ignore it, merely wishing that whoever owns that phone would hurry up and answer it. Then I realise that it's mine.)

Back to the bus stop. Mid-text, I must have touched a wrong button and Radio 4 started bellowing out of the phone at me. I kept frantically pressing things, without result. I continued to regale the bus queue with the "Today" programme. Eventually I had to ask a young man if he knew how to stop it. He did.

I warned you that I didn't have anything to say. Still, it's a nice picture of Daughter 2, don't you think? How I miss her.

14 comments:

  1. If it makes you feel any better, I had to get someone at a party to make my phone stop playing samples of pop songs. It was a sony music phone I had picked because it was $8, and I was about 27 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that did make me laugh- thank goodness for the young man on the bus! I so rarely use my mobile that I hope I can remember how to use it if I do have to phone for the AA. The new gadgets sound wonderful but I think I`ll make do with the old one for now.......

    Good luck with the dressmakers. That is a lovely photo of your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have ideas of working out how to use my phone fully and have tried several times to work it out from the instruction book but, invariably, I end up getting one of the children to rescue me. My husband is even worse - I think he is up to texting but just flatly refuses to go any further! He still has a late 90s basic Nokia and seems perfectly happy with it!
    Your daughter is lovely so all the best in finding a dress to do her justice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your "nothing to say" actually gave ma a lovely giggle.

    Must-have appliances for the Modern Granny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have perfected the art of casting "shame on you" looks all around when the cell phone starts doing whatever it feels like - it is usually in my pocket and there is no way i can unzip the pocket and flip open the phone before it begins to bellow, so i just pretend that it isn't me.

    p.s. - BOM is Block Of the Month ... i don't know why it isn't BOTM, though i really think that it should be

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a very nice picture of Daughter 2!
    I can txt people, but cannot read what I have sent. It seems that somewhere along the way, I have added a password, and cannot remember why, or what it was! I have a camera, which I have yet to use.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photo and am impressed that you are entering the 'new phone with gadgets' world....sometimes I wish I could, but my big as a brick old phone is still working so.....camera and phone in one bag for now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That made me laugh! I love the idea of Radio 4 belting out uncontrollably. It's normally so serene and demure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're hysterical Isabelle! I can only imagine the scene at the bus stop -- that sort of thing puts me into a complete panic. And a Grannyphone -- I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The mental image of you and your phone on that bus will keep me chortling all day. So, did Mr Life convert you to The Way of the IPhone??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear, I need a new phone and keep putting it off for fear of precisely such a scenario as the one you describe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. which picture of a dead chap are you referring to?? I'm sure this is nicer than it but I am mystified!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Picture of a dead chap? How did that even come to be posted in the first place? What's the dealio?

    ReplyDelete
  14. always nice to see that face...
    but what dead person did I miss???

    ReplyDelete