Thursday, December 10, 2015

Luminous night of the gingerbread men


Advent presents: day 10. Grandson looked at them covetously and indicated that he'd like to eat one. We agreed that he could, as long as he ate his tea (ie evening meal) first. But then we both forgot. But I'll keep it for him. He'll be back tomorrow.

Thanks to Mrs Slapthing (who are you?) for your comforting (I think) words about "Luminous Night of the Soul". I do not myself think it's gorgeous, though will admit that it has some quite nice bits. But it's very repetitive (only, you know, slightly different each time just to make it more difficult) and we spend a lot of time on the dreary bits, which of course have to be right, and beautifully sung, because they're so misty and unforgiving.

I don't want to sing something with some quite nice bits. I want to sing big choral things with passages that make the heart leap and sing. The Missa Solemnis! Brahms' German Mass! The St Matthew Passion!

Perhaps if I'd come across it as a listener, I would be less prejudiced against it. But my first introduction was to the beginning: "Looooooooooong beeeeeeeeeee fooooooooore" - if you're a first soprano. Lots of the same note, which of course is not as easy to sing as you might think. Even the words are repetitive.

And we're singing two of his pieces! And another at my other choir! Overkill!

Anyway. I might change my mind, I suppose. Let's hope.

I've just YouTubed it and come across the Central Washington University Choir singing it (I'm listening to it now) with the piano played by a little chap who looked vaguely familiar, and have now realised that it's Ola himself. The cello bit at the very start is lovely, I'll admit. (And all the commenters agree with you, Mrs S. I refrained from a dissenting comment.) But the rest - on and on - what's he saying about the luminous night of the soul, anyway? Nothing.

Toffeeapple, I do (usually) love singing in a choir. I don't mind repetition of exciting stuff and it's so wonderful to hear and to be part of a big sound.



4 comments:

  1. To paraphrase the Godfather, I'll take the gingerbread and leave the song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll not bother attending then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you kidding? CWU? My parents are grads and it has a great music program, but you are in SCOTLAND. Wow! This is amazing serendipity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just listened and I loved it(but we all have different tastes); it reminds me a bit of Eric Whitacre whose Lux and Sleep are two of my favorite choral pieces.

    ReplyDelete