Friday, June 26, 2020

Lockdown week 14 - Friday - interpreting the rules


The Edinburgh family came round today for a garden visit. It was so nice to see them. Big Grandson brought some London tube maps he'd been drawing, to show Mr L. They were very detailed and showed various developments that have taken place over the last few years. He really has an encyclopedic knowledge of buses and tubes. Poor lad hasn't been to London since last year and isn't likely to get back this year, I don't suppose; and he's longing to ride the tubes. Personally  there's little I like less!


Grandson [in garden, as I hand him a Mars Bar ice cream]: Granny?
Me: Yes?
Grandson: One of the reasons I like coming here is that you give us treats.

No, really?? Children are so honest. I'm glad it's only one of the reasons, though probably another is that we have so much Brio for him to play with.

He did a splendid layout in the garden.


Granddaughter does take an interest in his trains, but mainly, I think, to be polite.


After they'd gone, we went for an evening walk. It was mild, but not nearly so hot as it's been.


There was no one much about.




We passed Murrayfield Golf  Course and I looked wistfully up the fairway. That big rhododendron bush has finished flowering.


I enjoyed this foxglove, growing in a tiny crevice in a wall. Isn't nature amazing?

The recent hot weather has made British people - some people, probably a tiny minority - behave very foolishly, as we've seen in the news. There have been large gatherings on beaches and in parks - not, probably, that there's a huge risk of infection actually there, but public toilets are shut (with inevitable nasty consequences), roads have been congested in coastal towns and much litter has been left. In some places there have been clashes with police. How I would hate to be a police officer. I get the impression it's mainly the (foolish) young, who probably feel invincible because they don't on the whole get ill from Covid-19.

As things ease off and businesses open, it's hard to doubt that there'll be a spike in cases of the disease. We just have to hope that it's not too dramatic or all these weeks of lockdown will have been for nothing. I really can't bear it all to start again. When will we see Daughter 2 and sweet Smallest Granddaughter??

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure you will be much smarter than the U.S. where we are doing an absolutely awful job of the whole thing. It doesn't help that we have an insane and incompetent president. I'm glad you got to see your wonderful Edinburgh family and enjoy some time together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surely your grandson will have a career in some aspect of transportation! How nice that his sister is polite enough to be part of this interest. My part of Ohio is still doing pretty well but the southwest where there seem to be more young people (why?) is having a spike of new cases...I love that brave foxglove!

    ReplyDelete