Thursday, December 19, 2013

J'ai fini! Enfin!


Sit down, Thimbleanna. No, your eyes do not deceive you. Yes, as I warned you by email - I've finished my quilt!!!!! I know it's the simplest quilt in the world and it is slightly inaccurate in bits but hey: it's done. Thank you so much for giving me the cutting mat, the big ruler thing, the rotary cutter and lots of material - thus coercing me into doing it - and thank you, too, for the online tutorials. It's prettier (in my opinion) than it looks here, where the colours are dimmed by the flash of my phone camera.


This is the back. (It doesn't have a missing corner; the corner just flopped down at the vital moment.) Can you see the two joins? I thought not. (Bows.) Mr L assisted with the pattern matching of the back, one sideways and one longways. He also assisted in the interpretation of the little video showing the use of the binding tool to join the two ends of binding. It worked well.

I bought a walking foot for the binding, by the way - thanks to Gina and others who recommended this.


 Daughter 2 emerged from being the holder-upper to test it out with her dad.


This is more like the actual colour, though it's not quite as bright as it looks here. I don't know why I don't get Mr L, who has good cameras, to take a decent photo of it. I meant to take one outside today but didn't get round to it.

Anyway - I feel a bit ridiculous being so pleased at having achieved something that you proper quilters could do in a weekend while knitting a pair of socks and crocheting some Granny squares but... now I can go and ice my Christmas cakes.

18 comments:

  1. To finish such a big project, with all the hand quilting is magnificent! You should feel very proud! I read once that if you think your choices are always between perfection and nothing then you will always have nothing.

    But you have something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab! Good job done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tres bon! Fini! ( sorry my French is letting me down....
    It looks great to me and will be warm and well used.I love the picture of your 2 snuggled in it.
    I think a small quilt with tractors on it might be your next effort.( there are some lovely machinery fabrics available.
    Does Grand daughter have a passion or a favourite yet?
    You can now call yourself a "quilter!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christmas cakes? Cakes PLURAL???? Now I feel doubly inadequate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! If it helps, green can be a difficult colour to photograph well.....I used to work for a quilt magazine, and we dreaded having green quilts as they never looked as vibrant in a photo as they did in real life. As Ali said, you can buy fabric with tactahs, you know......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh well done. all that effort, talent, determination and achievement. I am so impressed.
    Who is the lucky recipient? The two of you or some other fortunate being?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is beautiful! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely, lovely! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How impressive Isabelle...well done.
    Truly a very pretty quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favourite picture is the one where your lovely quilt is wrapped around your lovely family. Well done you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never done any quilting ( and have no plans to ) so I am well impressed. It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ..."something that you proper quilters could do in a weekend while knitting a pair of socks and crocheting some Granny squares". A quilt like yours would probably take me a good six months. And I don't knit or crochet. So does that mean I'm not a proper quilter? Nah, just that I'm not as fast as most of you! Well done on creating your first heirloom quilt, that N. will be able to show off to his children in the distant future.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is lovely - congratulations! Hand quilted and everything; it looks very soft and warm ... quilts always look their best with someone in them :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt looks lovely. A real achievement! I love quilts but would never have the patience to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Isabelle! Hearty slaps on the back. You are now officially a quilter. One tip --- never, ever point out the faults in a quilt. For one thing they make your quilt unique and for another most of us are so busy admiring the overall effect that we don 't notice any imperfections -- can't even begin to guess where those joined seams are on the back.Another suggestion for your next project might be a "Trip Around the World" pattern, though a tractor quilt would be a big hit with a certain small gentleman.

    Hope all the Lifes have a lovely Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OhMyGosh! I can't believe it's taken me this long to get to this post -- there was the little thing of a weekend with the youngest child home for his Christmas. He's gone now, so I'm attempting to do a wee catch-up.

    IT'S BEAUTIFUL! I'm so proud of you. DD2 and Hubby look like they're pretty darn proud of you too. Now, you must put a tag on the back of it -- advice from the one whose quilts mostly remain tagless {bows her head in shame}.

    Congratulations on a job well done!!!

    ReplyDelete