Sunday, May 03, 2020

Lockdown week 6 - Sunday


Today - now, get this - we decided to go up Corstorphine Hill in the opposite direction from usual.  Yes, we know how to mix it up. In fact, this was rather harder work, since you start by going up this extremely steep path. Yes, I know it doesn't look it in my photo, annoyingly, but take my word for it, it is. (It's also extremely steep going down and is a bit of a trial for the ageing knees.)


This borage is a beautiful blue but, believe me in this too, you don't want it in your garden. [Edited to add; it's not borage at all, as Toffeeapple points out. It's green alkanet - a relative of borage and, like it, in the forget-me-not family. I've been calling it borage for years. Thanks, Toffeeapple!.] It's forever trying to grow in my garden (and Daughter 2's, in London) and has long, easily-snapped roots. However, it's welcome to grow on the hill.



The antelopey things were back near the Zoo fence.

And we sat on the bench at the top to admire the view before descending the other side.


Since it was the weekend it was slightly busier than usual, so we avoided the lane and struck out over the golf course (while we could).

The sun was behind the clouds but trying to break through.



It's lilac time. I think lilac is my very favourite scent of any flower, or come to that - anything. Sadly, my lilacs are in a very vigorous hedge, which we keep having to cut back, so we only get flowers every second year and they're very high up, where only Mr L can reach. These are in a neighbour's garden.


The Sunday Times thinks it'll be unfair if the old get locked in longer than the young and productive. Luckily, I'm not seventy yet... . Not quite.


And back to revisiting beloved places - this is the Botanics (currently closed, alas, alack) in April 2011, pre-grandchildren, with Daughter 2, Son and future Daughter-in-Law.


Looking over to the Castle


and Arthur's Seat from a different angle.

Oh to be at the Botanics, now that May's here. And with our children, ideally all of them. And the little ones. Sigh.

In the afternoon, a friend walked to our house to borrow a book and we had coffee in the garden, six feet apart. Which was nice.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, the Botanics! Such a good time of year to visit too. :( The headline is misleading because we're more at risk from the younger ones and won't stay healthy if we're around too many people. (in my opinion) I wish it weren't the case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:04 pm

    I am not certain that you have Borage, those look more like Green Alkanet to me.

    Lovely views again, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite right! I've been wrong all my life. Thanks for pointing this out.

      Delete